INDEX and MATCH Formula??

aidanhills

Reaction score
Hi, Could someone help? What I am trying to do is lookup the name in F4 then match this in column A (A1:A26). I then want to match G4 to see if it is on the same row as H4 then give an answer "TRUE" or"FALSE" in cell F7. This Match will only occur once in the data. I apologise if this has been asked before.

Attachments

• Example.xlsx
    11 KB · Views: 8
Try:

=INDEX($C$1:$C$26,MATCH(F4,$A$1:$A$26,0))=H4

Try:

=INDEX($C$1:$C$26,MATCH(F4,$A$1:$A$26,0))=H4

Cheers this seems to work, However if I transfer the formula on to another worksheet (changing the parameters) it doesn't, please see attached. Sorry for not posting the original worksheet in the first place but I was trying to understand how the formula worked (been trying for about a week now):baby:

Attachments

• Example1.xlsx
    15.1 KB · Views: 2
Do you mean you want to put the 2 names to compare and formula in Sheet2?

If so, and assuming the names are in Sheet2, A1 and C1, then try formula, in Sheet2:

=INDEX(Sheet1!$C$1:$C$91,MATCH(A1,Sheet1!$A$1:$A$91,0))=C1

Attachments

• Sample.xlsx
    15 KB · Views: 5
No this didn't work, when I changed the names in Sheet2, A1 to Hylton_CW and in Sheet2, C1 to Ryhope it came up FALSE but there is a match in row 32

For me it works. Did you make sure to enable editing after you opened my spreadsheet (if you have 2013)?

Make sure you spelled the names correctly (or consistently).

Ok. I just looked at it a gain, you have multiple cells with Hylton_CW in column A... you are looking for the combination....

Change my formula in Sheet2 to:

=COUNTIFS(Sheet1!$A$1:$A$91,A1,Sheet1!$C$1:$C$91,C1)>0

Yes, enabled editing, checked the spelling and even copied and pasted the cells from sheet1 A23 and sheet1 C32, in to sheet2 A1 and C1 but still getting FALSE

Attachments

• Sample2.xlsx
    15.8 KB · Views: 4
My apologies, our messages must have crossed, just updated the formula and it looks as if it is working OK, Thanks for your help, I will now study the formula (I WILL NOT MAKE ANY CHANGES TO IT) and see if I can understand it. THANK AGAIN much appreciated.

Back