Trigger 3-month auto-timeout based on transfer from central shared folder

chestercopperpot

Reaction score
Several teams within my organization are using an excel-based engineering tool. This tool gets updated periodically, and I want to be able to have a timeout feature so that the teams will be forced to download the latest version of the tool (we don't want teams using a version of the tool that is more than 3 months old).

The latest version of the tool is in a central shared folder accessible by everyone. Each person saves a copy of the tool to their own local team folder. I would like to be able to trigger a 3-month timeout clock based on when they save the tool to any folder other than the central shared folder.

Any ideas on how I could set up the trigger to accomplish this or a similar alternative? Thanks!

For others, there is an older (currently unanswered) similar post at http://www.excelforum.com/excel-pro...d-on-transfer-from-central-shared-folder.html

for chestercopperpot:
I would like to be able to trigger a 3-month timeout clock based on when they save the tool to any folder other than the central shared folder.
Rather than base it on when they save the tool somewhere, I'm going to suggest a slightly different way.

Several teams within my organization are using an excel-based engineering tool. This tool gets updated periodically, and I want to be able to have a timeout feature so that the teams will be forced to download the latest version of the tool (we don't want teams using a version of the tool that is more than 3 months old).
Squirrel away the date the file was updated within the file itself somewhere, it could be on a (very)hidden sheet as a named range eg. "DateUpdated" which you manually set up on a once-and-for-all basis (but update its value every time you produce a new version), and then when the user opens the tool, the current (system) date could be compared to it and action taken appropriately. In the Thisworkbook's code-module:
Code:
Private Sub Workbook_Open()
If Date - ThisWorkbook.Range("DateUpdated").Value > 90 Then '90 days = 3 months.
    MsgBox "This version of the Engineering Tool is out of date. Please use the latest version", vbExclamation, "Outdated Version"
    ThisWorkbook.Close SaveChanges:=False
End If
End Sub
Every time you produce a new version of the engineering tool you put the date it was updated in that cell.

Other places you could put (hide) the date are as a custom document property, or as a Name with just a date in it.

Back