Locking cells together

David Moffett

Reaction score
Hi People,
I need to be able to lock a group of 4 cells together so that they can be dragged to different locations on the spreadsheet.
I know that I can select the group of 4 cells using my mouse and then dragging to the new location but I need to make it idiot proof so that if someone else does it they don't accidentally leave one or more cells behind.
Any assistance greatly appreciated.
David

Hi David,

Not sure whether my solution can help you completely. But of course it will you with one quick option.
Select the range of cells >> name this (just provide the name in the name box)
Now you can go to the name box and select the above name, which will select the exact range of cells.. now you can move where ever you need without missing / adding any other cells.

2nd option - let's say you have data in A1 : D5, now you need to select and move>> go to A1 and press F8 key(to extend the selection) >>now you select you last cells i.e., D5>> and move it ----->> this will be helpful only in selecting larger range of cells.. in your case as you mentioned mouse works pretty fast.

Regards
Vinod.

Thanks

Thank you but it is not quite what I am looking for.
As I have about 50 little ranges that need to be dragged around back and forth I need to lock the little groups of 4 cells together.
Hunting through a list of 50 or more range names to find the one I want is too time consuming, not to mention the time to name each little range in the first place.
What I am looking for is sort of like when you draw lines in excel or word, you can group them so that when you move one they all move together.
Thanks
David

Hi David,

Not sure whether my solution can help you completely. But of course it will you with one quick option.
Select the range of cells >> name this (just provide the name in the name box)
Now you can go to the name box and select the above name, which will select the exact range of cells.. now you can move where ever you need without missing / adding any other cells.

2nd option - let's say you have data in A1 : D5, now you need to select and move>> go to A1 and press F8 key(to extend the selection) >>now you select you last cells i.e., D5>> and move it ----->> this will be helpful only in selecting larger range of cells.. in your case as you mentioned mouse works pretty fast.

Regards
Vinod.

Back