Populate Column with Answers

oskar

Reaction score
Excel Version(s)
Office 2013
I want to populate column E (Answer) with the results of multiplying column C (Factor) by column D (Input), rows 5-16, as per attached file.

Column D now shows a 10 at row 8 so the 10 should be multiplied by each factor of column C and the answers should be shown in column E. Then when I input another number anywhere in column D that number should again be multiplied by each factor from column C. There is no need to save the results in column E

The formula shown on the same sheet which for some unexplained reason when I write it on the VB Editor does not stay there after I exit the file although I save it. This formula I found it on the web but it does not work, perhaps I’m missing something?

Thank you

Attachments

• Book1A.xlsm
    8.5 KB · Views: 11
I found a way but don’t know if it’s the best

In column E write the formula =C5*$D$5 and copy it down to row 16, plus merge the cells in column D so there is only one row in the range

I am not sure I completely understand your request ,just wrote formula as follow by guessing.

Assume you will only enter one numerical number in D5:D16

E5=C5&MAX($D$5:$D$16)

I am not sure I completely understand your request ,just wrote formula as follow by guessing.

Assume you will only enter one numerical number in D5:D16

E5=C5&MAX($D$5:$D$16)

Thank you caabyyc for the help

I just realized my #2 post is wrong and does not give me what I want. Basically what I have is a units converter, in column D I find the row of the unit I want to convert, let’s say 10 feet, so I insert 10 in row 6 and I should get the equivalent of 10 feet to all other units

Yes at D5:16 is only numbers

Where do I insert your formula?

If you put the number in E1 & the original Unit in F1, you can use this in E5 copied down
=CONVERT($E$1,$F$1,B5)

If you put the number in E1 & the original Unit in F1, you can use this in E5 copied down
=CONVERT($E$1,$F$1,B5)

You might be into something good here Fluff

When you say the “number in E1” I assume you mean the Input. I did that and all the rest but I get on E5, #N/A.

Can you explain how this formula should work?

Thank you

Have a look at this

Attachments

• oskar.xlsm
    9.1 KB · Views: 5
I now understand and its pretty smart, thanks

I was reading on the Convert function and it takes the units in a specific abbreviation so I will work on that. I think its the best way to do what I want

Glad to help & thanks for the feedback

Glad to help & thanks for the feedback

Have a question Fluff

What is the purpose of including in the formula the B5 at the end?

Since we specify in F1 what the unit is why the B5?

I know the formula works but I can’t figure out how it works

The convert function needs a unit to convert from (F1) & a unit to convert to (B5)

Back