Table.RemoveMatchingRows issue

El Cid

Reaction score
Excel Version(s)
Excel 2016
I'm trying to use a table named tblSection267 with a list of names under the column heading DELETEnames to remove names listed rows in the column named "Source Name" in the another table (named #"Append Payrolls") and I can't seem the get the syntax right. Here's the my code I've tried. I've commented out the offending line of code and left the one that works below it, but would prefer to pull the names from the tblSection267 table that is a separate query:

let
Source = tblPayroll01,
#"Append Payrolls" = try Table.Combine({tblPayroll01, tblPayroll02}) otherwise Source,
// #"Filtered Rows" = Table.RemoveMatchingRows(#"Append Payrolls", Table.ToRows (tblSection267 [DELETEnames]),[Source Name]),
// #"Filtered Rows" = Table.RemoveMatchingRows(#"Append Payrolls", Table.ToList(tblSection267[DELETEnames], Combiner.CombineTextByDelimiter(",")),[Source Name]),
#"Filtered Rows" = Table.SelectRows(#"Append Payrolls", each ([Source Name] <> "BUGGS BUNNY" and [Source Name] <> "DONALD DUCK" and [Source Name] <> "MICKY MOUSE")),

The are many possible ways to do that.
One of them below
Code:
#"Filtered Rows" = Table.SelectRows(#"Append Payrolls", each List.Contains(tblSection267[DELETEnames],  [Source Name]) )

Regards

Thanks Bill. That didn't work and it ran for an incredibly long time, like it was in a circular loop and finally escaped and shrunk the resulting table down a few lines. Maybe I wasn't clear enough...I just want to reference a table in the Table.SelectRows function where the column named "Source Name" in the "Append Payrolls" table do not contain any of the names found on the table named tblSection267. Si I know this works:
#"Filtered Rows" = Table.SelectRows(#"Append Payrolls", each ([Source Name] <> "BUGGS BUNNY" and [Source Name] <> "DONALD DUCK" and [Source Name] <> "MICKY MOUSE")),

but I want to take this section..."
each ([Source Name] <> "BUGGS BUNNY" and [Source Name] <> "DONALD DUCK" and [Source Name] <> "MICKY MOUSE")"

and make it point at a dynamic table that is named tblSection267 and has the header named DELETEnames.

This seems to make it work. Thanks for the help.

#"Filtered Rows" = Table.SelectRows(#"Append Payrolls", each not List.Contains(tblSection267[DELETEnames], [Source Name])),

Also found I could have used an anti-join, but I didn't care to use that approach. :frusty:

Last edited:
I did not understand your needs correctly. Maybe this time... :))
After #"Append Payrolls" step:
Code:
BufferedList = List.Buffer(tblSection267[DELETEnames]),
[FONT=Verdana]#"Filtered Rows" = Table.SelectRows(#"Append Payrolls", each not List.Contains(BufferedList,  [Source Name]) )[/FONT]

BufferedList should speed up your query.

Thanks Bill! That piece of code made a huge difference.

Back