How to populate multiple cells from a drop down selection

stuconz

Reaction score
Excel Version(s)
Hello and thanks for looking.
I am by no means an excel expert, so hoping I can get some direction here.

I have a list of "Contacts" in one sheet with contact information for specific resources. This list includes all known resources available.
Name | position | company | location | contact phone 1 | contact phone 2 | contact phone 3 | email | role

There is another contacts list on another sheet called "Comms". This list is to capture the assigned resources for any given weekends work and is sent out to the selected individuals in a comms plan.

I want to be able to select a resource in the Comms sheet from a lookup drop-down (source is the Contacts sheet) and have it populate the other details associated with the name in the same row.
Name | position | company | contact phone 1 | location | email

The reason is that the resources change all the time for each weekend and I want to be able to just pick a name from a drop down and have it display the contact details for that resource.

Hope that makes sense? :confused2:

thanks,

First, go to the Contacts sheet and select all the names in column A and name this range "Contacts".

Then in the Comms sheet select the cell you want the drop down in, and create a data validation with List source: =Contacts

In the adjacent column(s) you can use Index/Match to get the relevant data: e.g. =IF($A2="","",INDEX('Contacts'!B:B,MATCH($A2,'Contacts'!$A:$A,0))) where A2 is the cell your data validation is in... you can copy this formula across to get adjacent data and adjust the index range if you want to skip columns. You can then copy formulas down for more contacts.

Thanks for that. I'll let you know how it goes! (It's a big list of resources:) )

First, go to the Contacts sheet and select all the names in column A and name this range "Contacts".

Then in the Comms sheet select the cell you want the drop down in, and create a data validation with List source: =Contacts

In the adjacent column(s) you can use Index/Match to get the relevant data: e.g. =IF($A2="","",INDEX('Contacts'!B:B,MATCH($A2,'Contacts'!$A:$A,0))) where A2 is the cell your data validation is in... you can copy this formula across to get adjacent data and adjust the index range if you want to skip columns. You can then copy formulas down for more contacts.

Back