Running total in single cell

Luigi802

Reaction score
Excel Version(s)
I've attached a copy on my sheet, I'm trying to make it so that whenever I type a number in the [Amount] column, it continuously accumulates the total in the [Total] column. for example I type "5.24" in C4, D4 would say 5.24, then I type 1 in C2 then D4 will change to 6.24, I type 5.76 in C4 then D4 returns 12 and so on.

View attachment RunningTotal.xlsx

So you are saying that you will overwrite existing numbers and they should total in col D ?
VBA will then be required

So you are saying that you will overwrite existing numbers and they should total in col D ?
VBA will then be required

No I've done it before without VBA, but I forget how I did it, you would need VBA to have it add in the same cell that you are entering the numbers, but if you use a separate cell to add the numbers that are being entered in another cell you can do it with a formula, I just don't remember how I did it and I don't have that WB anymore.

Starting in D5 enter =C4+C5 and pull down ? (D4 enter =C4)

Starting in D5 enter =C4+C5 and pull down ? (D4 enter =C4)

But that won't allow me to continue to write/overwrite numbers in the same cell "C4" and have it continually add in "D4"
This formula kinda works "=IF(CELL("address")="$C$4",)" if it's s single cell but does not work in a table, also I have to enable iterative calculations.

Last edited:

Sorry I messed up in my original post
I've attached a copy of my sheet, I'm trying to make it so that whenever I type a number in the [Amount] column, it continuously accumulates the total in the [Total] column. for example I type "5.24" in C4, D4 would say 5.24, then I type 1 in C4 then D4 will change to 6.24, I type 5.76 in C4 then D4 returns 12 and so on.

I'm with Pecoflyer on this, you'll need VBA

I'm with Pecoflyer on this, you'll need VBA

This formula also kinda works "=IF(OR(ISNUMBER(C4),C4<>0),C4+D4,0)"
With this formula I could consistently put number in C4 over and over again, D4 will cumulatively sum what ever I put in there i.e. if I put 5 in C4, D4 wil say 5, then I delete C4's contents and put 3 in C4, D4 will then read 8, as it should! Again thought this only really works with 1 cell and when placed in a table, D4 will
cumulatively sum everything in the [Amount] column, also every time the sheet is refreshed it sums the total again
I don't mean to sound rude, but I KNOW THIS IS POSSIBLE WITHOUT VBA, I've done it before but I just don't have that sheet anymore and I'm regretting it now! Also I'm pretty sure I didn't have to use iterative calculations as well.
Please see attached sheet. I also have Iterative calculations on and set to 1 as MAX

Last edited:
I think this is what you want:

=IF(OR(ISNUMBER(C4),C4<>0),SUM(C$4:C4),0)

You don't need iterative calculations fiddling with or VBA.

I understand OP as @Fluff and @Pecoflayer.
If his request is, display the SUM in the adjacent cell after entered value in C column, then this formula can also be.
in D5 cell, copy down
Code:
=IF(C5<>"";C5+D4;"")

Attachments

• luigi802-navic9749.xlsm
    20.7 KB · Views: 1
The OP has asserted that he has done this before without VBA and without iterations, so unless he is mistaken, the interpretation must be something that can be done with a formula, hence my suggestion.

The OP has asserted that he has done this before without VBA
All is OK @AliGW, I did not mean anything bad.
I say only that I realized the problem.
Let's wait for the OP to respond with the answer.
With respect

Back