Get and combine excel files from Sharepoint

Martinl

Reaction score
Excel Version(s)
2016 MSO (16.0.9126.2259)
Afternoon all
I am trying to pull in several Excel files from SharePoint into Power Query
The issue I am facing is that at first I could not see the Files so a bit of research showed me that I needed to :
Make sure that I imported from a SharePoint List
Then in the formula bar, I change Sharepoint.Tables to read Sharepoint.Files

The trouble is when I do this I appear to lose my authentication
I also tried changing Sharepoint.Tables to read Sharepoint.Contents
but the same issue appears

Can anyone advise me on this

let
Source = SharePoint.Files("http://sp13.emea.xxx.net/emea/EMDBS/Sales/", [ApiVersion = 15])
in
Source

As an update to this issue
I am using office 365 excel
If I start from a new sheet and
Get Data
- From Other Sources
- From SharePoint List

Input the URL of the main site Click Ok

I am now looking at a directory of all the sub folders but not any binary files that may be in them.
There are many Record and Table columns and when I plough through them all, I eventually find a couple that contain the file name of the excel files I am looking for, but no way of being able to import them as there do not appear to be any binary files.

as above I still cannot change SharePoint.Tables to SharePoint.Files or SharePoint.Contents as this still brings up the authentication message

So I'm one step closer but still way off getting the my hands on the spreadsheets!

M

Last edited:
let
Source = SharePoint.Files("http://sp13.emea.xxx.net/emea/EMDBS/Sales/", [ApiVersion = 15])
in
Source

An amazing number of people have viewed this so I'm hoping that my fix will help all who may come across this similar situation.

It turns out that there is a bug in the API version - at least for me.
When I down grade to ApiVersion 14 everything works as expected - well sort of.
More importantly the files are now viewable and available. However navigation through the folders is not so good you need to use the path (if available to you) and split by "/" to filter to the files you need.

Martin

Back