Sorting Selected Adjecent Cells in a Column: Entire Worksheet's Sorted

jdanniel

Reaction score
Excel Version(s)
MS365
Hello, I'm using Excel 2016. I'm having a difficult time sorting selected cells in a column. I just can't figure out how to do it, despite reading a few articles on Excel that make it sound simple. I'm doing something wrong.

All I want to do is take a selected, adjacent group of cells in a column, and sort them. That's it.

In this particular spreadsheet, I want to sort selected cells in the "Album Title" column.

I've Googled this, I've watched You Tube videos, but I'm clearly missing something.

I did manage to sort a selected group of cells, but it screwed up my worksheet. Here's what I did. I selected the group of cells, and then changed the color. I went into Sort, and selected Cell Color as an option. That worked. The problem is, when I did that, the formatting of the worksheet changed. I didn't want that, so when I reset everything, I lost the timestamps. Fortunately, I backed up my spreadsheet before messing with this, or else I would have lost the timestamps…at least, for the selected cells.

I'm attaching a copy of my spreadsheet. It's a basic, rudimentary, novice spreadsheet. I want the album titles for "Beach Boys" sorted, for example. Whenever I go into Sort, it appears to highlight the entire table. And it sorts the entire table, regardless of what cells I highlight.

Is it because I changed the worksheet to a table, to enable slicers?

What am I doing wrong? Thank you! Jd

(PS: If anyone looks at the spreadsheet and wonders what the icons in the Slicers worksheet are for, they trigger macros.)

Attachments

• Music DL Spreadsheet 2019.xlsm
    52.8 KB · Views: 4
I think I figured it out....about one minute after I posted this note. I filtered the selection via a slicer, THEN I selected the cells, and sorted them. That seems to have worked. Too easy to overlook, which is what I did.

Back