Vlookup

Luigi802

Reaction score
Excel Version(s)
So if you look at the attached sheet, I want to make some kind of VLOOKUP formula or any formula what would enter the correct category/sub category on the DATA sheet based on if the contents the the description "contain" data in the description column on AutoCat sheet....for example on line 15 on the DATA sheet, it says "BLUE RIDGE COMM CABLE BILL ***********2001" and on the AutoCat Sheet on line 3 it just says Blue Ridge, how could I make the category and sub category automatically fill in on the DATA sheet based on the data in the Auto Cat sheet?

Attachments

• BETAFinance.xlsx
    13.2 KB · Views: 11
If you do not have duplicates in the worksheet 'data' in column C, use the following formulas
Formula in D4 cell, copy down
Code:
=VLOOKUP([@Description];T_Auto_Cat;2;FALSE)
Formula in E4 cell, copy down
Code:
=VLOOKUP([@Description];T_Auto_Cat;3;FALSE)

If you do not have duplicates in the worksheet 'data' in column C, use the following formulas
Formula in D4 cell, copy down
Code:
=VLOOKUP([@Description];T_Auto_Cat;2;FALSE)
Formula in E4 cell, copy down
Code:
=VLOOKUP([@Description];T_Auto_Cat;3;FALSE)

I keep getting the "there is a problem with your formula" popup, I thought it was because of the ; in stead of a , so changed it to a , and then I got #N/A in every column except if it was an exact match

My apology, I did not read the question properly.
Try the following ARRAY formula
In D4 cell try (copy across D and E column)
Code:
=IFERROR(INDEX(AutoCat!C$3:C$30;SMALL(IF(ISNUMBER(SEARCH(" "&AutoCat!$B$3:$B$30&" ";" "&$C4&" "));ROW(AutoCat!$B$3:$B$30)-MIN(ROW(AutoCat!$B$3:$B$30))+1;"");COLUMN($A1)));"")

Attachments

• Luigi802-navic39820.xlsx
    18 KB · Views: 10
AWESOME! Thank you so much, that works perfectly!

Back