VLOOKUP Formula help!

Murray_Sparkles

Reaction score
Excel Version(s)
Example1.png Example2.png
Sorry that I could not upload my spreadsheet to Xguru as I cannot get my file size small enough to be uploaded. I am continuing to work on getting my file size down enough to be uploaded. Instead, I have provided pictures (I know this doesn't help much.)

I am attempting to create a VLOOKUP formula that will pull information from my RECORDS worksheet to my SERVICE RECALL worksheet.

The formula should find the values from RECORDS based on the unit number in SERVICE RECALL and populate the fields based on the most recent service date for odometer reading, next service due, and additional comments.

I hope I have provided enough information to make any sense.. will try and upload my spreadsheet as soon as possible.

And perhaps post a sheet instead of a picture so we can work on it. thx

And perhaps post a sheet instead of a picture so we can work on it. thx

Thank you Pecoflyer, as mentioned previously, I was trying to upload my sheet but my file size is too large. Do you have any suggestions to get my file size down enough to be uploaded?

I have begun by using
Code:
=VLOOKUP($A$11,Table1,2)
to pull up the last service date which was working for the units that had a record for service, then I moved onto the odometer readings with
Code:
=VLOOKUP($A$11,Table1,3)
and this worked for some of the units, but other units that have records for service aren't showing up with the correct odometer reading.

Also I can't figure out how to make the formula find the most recent date and the data that goes with it rather than whatever the first one it finds is. It should also update when new information is entered.

You have to add the range lookup parameter to get exact values like
=VLOOKUP($A$11,Table1,3,0)

Check the VLOOKUP syntax at https://www.excelfunctions.net/vlookup-syntax-and-rules.html for example

And BTW avoid using merged cells, they are nothing but trouble. You can use " center across selection" to format without the drawbacks of merged cells

And BTW avoid using merged cells, they are nothing but trouble. You can use " center across selection" to format without the drawbacks of merged cells

First Pecoflyer - THANK YOU. I was struggling with this and you've really helped me out. I'm reading up on VLOOKUP syntax now to get a better understanding of how the formula works.
Second, what do you mean "center across selection" I'm all about formatting and making my sheet look good so merge was the only option I thought I had available!!

So, I've done what Pecoflyer said and fixed my range lookup parameter, but it is still not pulling up the most recent service dates? Also, I am trying to VLOOKUP other fields in my Table1 and nothing is coming up.. can you only VLOOKUP so many values?

VLOOKUP will only pull out the first matching item. If you want something other than this, then you need to provide a small sample workbook with a manual mock-uoof what you are seeking to achieve.

VLOOKUP will only pull out the first matching item. If you want something other than this, then you need to provide a small sample workbook with a manual mock-uoof what you are seeking to achieve.

Thanks Ali, I will try to come up with a small mock-up to help clear things up. I apologize for any confusion! I am very new to Excel, really only using it for data tracking, but now I am in a position at work where I want to use excel for more than just recording data and learn how to use formulas. Please bear with me as I do not mean to frustrate anyone!!

Unfortunately you have not manually mocked up what you want, but this will bring through the last service entry in the lookup table for each unit:

=LOOKUP(A11,RECORDS2!$A$2:$A$123,RECORDS2!$B$2:$B$123)

Hi All,

an attempt related to your post # 6 file

In C11

=IFERROR(AGGREGATE(14,6,RECORDS!C$2:C$123/(RECORDS!A$2:A$123=A11),1),"")

to be copied below.

I figured out how I could accomplish what I needed. I was trying to use VLOOKUP and like Ali said, it only brings up the first matching item.

I ended up using
=INDEX(TRACKER!B:B,MATCH(A12,TRACKER!A:A,0)) which was able to bring up the most recent date as long as the tracker is sorted newest to oldest which worked perfectly!

If anyone wants to see the final project I'd be happy to post.

But thank you to everyone for your help, I really appreciate it!

Happy new year! :wave:

Back