Search string query

Xephon12

Reaction score
Excel Version(s)
Hi,

I'd be really grateful for any help on this. I've scratched my head for quite awhile on it...

I've got like 10000 entries of customers and each row entry has a free text box which occasionally states in some form "1" meaning their first transaction, I'm wanting to highlight just them rows to myself. It's muddied because the same box also occasionally contains the date like 11/7.

So, I'm wanting to search a column full of free text to find if it contains the number 1, and only one occurrence of the number 1 and to produce the text output "true" if so.

I've tried using different methods of finding the first occurance of a number, but don't know how to isolate and verify if that's the number 1.

Would be so grateful for any help in this matter to save me individually going through all 9000 entries...

Thanks!

Maybe something like this?

=IFERROR(B2+0=1,FALSE)

where B2 contains the string to check.

Sorry, to clarify the free text box has letters as well as numbers in it. I can appreciate that method if I could isolate the number in it, it's usually the very first number....

I know know how to find the position in the string of the first number, but not how to output what that number actually is to utilize the method you've suggested.

As an example my free text box would contain data such as:

Luc 1 right 11/1
Lea 2 left done
Right Luc 1 21/2
Etc

With me only interested in the first entry.

Last edited:
Back