Thread: Filter List Data based on Selection

Articles
    Excel Version

Filter List Data based on Selection

Register for a FREE account, and/
    or Log in to avoid these ads!

Hi There,

I am perfectly happy using the Data Validation function to create a drop down list however what I would like to do is have two drop downs and have the content of the second list dependent upon the first.

eg

I have three manufacturers of Ice Cream and each manufacturer has three different flavours. Not all manufacturers have the same flavours though.

Could I set up a spreadsheet so that I select the Manufacturer name in the first box and then the second drop down only displays the flavours which that manufacturer makes? I guess I have to do some sort of filtering of the validation sort data but I am not sure how I could do that. I dont know any VB.

Thank you

Rich

Hi Rich...

A way without using VBA is included in the attached sample file. The sample includes two data validation dropdows, the first for selecting a
    country and the second for selecting a city of that country. Each country is defined as a named range as well as the country list. The first
    data validation list refers to the countries and the second uses the formula =INDIRECT($B$16) where B16 is the first validation list.

Hope this helps.

Regards :-)
    Attached Files Attached Files

Hello,
    You can do it also using the IF function to select the list that you want according the first text that you select.
    Microsoft Excel Massive Open Online Course.
    Learn all about Microsoft excel in this Online course, with video tutorials, examples of applications and a complete functions and buttons explanation.
    Be part of our community and enjoy learning Excel.