Power Query access on other machines

kaia2001

Reaction score
Excel Version(s)
Office Standard 2013
Hi group!

I have created a dashboard that uses an excel spreadsheet as its source data with a connection and loaded it to the data model. When others access and attempt to refresh the data they receive the error message below. Is there a way to link the data source and allow the end user to refresh the data source?

Error msg.png

Do the users in question have Power Query?
If not then what I did is constructed the data for my DashboardData workbook with powerquery and arranged a process to update it regularly (requires power query).
End users had a workbook that used MS Query (built into all versions of excel) to pull relevant data from DashboardData (in my case using parameters including the username from the windows environment).

Gavona is correct here. Since you're on Excel 2013, both author and consumer need to have Power Query installed. They don't necessarily have to use the same monthly package (as long as you're not doing anything that isn't supported in prior versions).

Once you hit Excel 2016 and higher, this issue will go away as Power Query is built in to all SKUs of Office.

Great thank you all!

Back