How to take a set of dates and have them match up to column headings?

blackrose91

Reaction score
Excel Version(s)
Hi there,

Wondering if someone can help. My problem is a bit hard to explain but I've included an example for reference.

Essentially, the example scenario is I have places across the UK that I have to visit. Some are on a monthly basis and some are on a quarterly basis.

The places to visit each month and their details are stored in one tab, and I've used a formula to calculate when I need to visit them. And the same for the quarterly places.

I then have the last tab which stores my "reports" of when I visited each place and how long my meetings took

However, I then have the first tab as a summary sheet which lists all the stores, and how long I have been in meetings with them each month.

What I would like to do is:

1. take the dates from the monthly and quarterly tab of when I should[ visit each place and have them populate in the summary sheet, but so that the dates match up to the respective column headings.
2. Same thing for when I actually visited each place - so that the date pulls through into the respective column heading
3. And then the same thing for time

Is there a way to do this? I know that I can just pull the data through from each tab to the summary based on Inexing / matching, but for analysis, I really need the data to match the right column headings if possible.

Thanks in advance to anyone who got so far as reading this!

Attachments

• Example.xlsx
    13.3 KB · Views: 13
I know I can use an index / match to pull the data through, but I'm not sure if I can work in an IF statement, so that if the column heading is say January, and the date is January, then it knows where to store the data?

Last edited by a moderator:
You have duplicate months in the source data ... for ex. in the 'Monthly visits' sheet ...

B
C
D
E
F
G
H
I
Big​
England​
1/1/2018​
1/29/2018​
2/26/2018​
3/26/2018​
4/23/2018​
5/21/2018​

... and there are others. How do you want to handle those.

Also I would recommend using actual numeric dates for the month column headings and format for the month ... 1st of the month or last of the month usually works. It often makes formulas simpler.

Last edited:
Back