I can't get my pivot table to sort

rosetc16

Reaction score
Excel Version(s)
Excel 2016
Please help... I can't get my pivot tables to sort by any column right of the first column. Basically, I want the pivot table to look exactly like my actual table (this is just an example document) so I can sort by the question totals on the far right. Please let me know what to do. Thank you!

P.s. I would also love for "(blank)" to show up as "-" instead... I tried clicking that field under pivot table options, but for some reason that isn't working...

Attachments

• Example.xlsx
    24.6 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
Please help with a cherry on top:)

On free forums it is customary to be patient and to wait at least for a day before bumping. Remember everyone here is a volunteer helping you for free on her/his spare time. If you need an urgent answer you can always contact a pay site.

I apologize! I would love some help though if anyone could give it a look!

I can't really see why you are using a pivot table here, but you have to bear in mind that each row field in a pivot table is grouped within the field(s) to its left, so sorting can only occur within those groups. That's why you can only apparently sort on the first column - sorting on other fields only sorts them within the fields to the left.

The option for empty cell display only applies to cells in the Values area. You could use conditional formatting in the other cells, or just overtype one of the blank values in a field with a space to effectively hide them all.

What would you use instead of a pivot table?

Back