Polar chart for magnetic orientation

jrquist

Reaction score
Excel Version(s)
2016 MSO 32 bit
Hi guys, I am having a heck of a time making a chart to suit my needs. I sure hope someone out there can help!

I'm looking to create a polar chart that looks like a compass (360 degrees) where I can have a list of values in Excel representing different angle measurements taken (angles or radians) and a label for each. So, for example:

Reading# Degrees
1 42
2 113
3 145
4 189
5 305

I got the polar plot plug in by Andy Pope. But, it includes a distance measurement and well as "Top left cell of Output range" which I simply do not understand...

Again, all I am looking for is a compass image where the values show up as tick marks on the outer circle and include a tag like "Reading #1".

Any help is greatly appreciated. I'm a noob with Excel. So glad to find this site.

Cheers, Juliana

Hi and welcome
did you try to contact Andy. He's a very helpful person

I was going to email him but found this forum link on his website and thought he might prefer not to be bothered with specific problems. Your reply suggests I should go ahead. I'll post if he answers. In the meantime, if anyone wants to tackle this problem, I would love it.

Cheers, Juliana

The expected data layout, when using the polar plot addin is Angle | Radius
From your description the radius can be any value just give the same value to each angle.

The addin generates lots of additional information in order to draw the chart, such as calculating the position of each point based on angle/radius data. This information location is what the topleftcell refers to.
In order to get the reading number displayed within the data point would will need to link the data label to cell, which is easily done using xl2016.

Attachments

• 38009.xlsx
    25.7 KB · Views: 28
Thanks so much, Andy! Exactly what I was looking for! So far, I have added a bunch of data for visualization. It's not clean yet but sure is working great!
chart_image.png
Note to folks who want to use this in the future: Use $ to lock rows and columns so that you can just copy/paste formulas with new data.

Cheers,
Juliana

Back