Promoting Row to Header (Exceptions)

Jonny1010101010

Reaction score
Excel Version(s)
excel 2016
Hi all,

I have a problem which I hope has a simple solution! I can promote a row to header easily, however, column A contains a value I do not want to promote (all other columns can be promoted).

Is there a way to selection certain columns to promote and not others? Or apply exceptions?

Thanks, Jonny

Can you fill down in that column? There may be a way. Can you attach a sample workbook?

Hi,

I'm afraid I cant fill down, in this case the column contains the Excel workbook name of the source, and as Im appending multiple books together, I need to keep these to differentiate.

Jonny

Sent from my ONE A2003 using Tapatalk

Hi Ali,

I've mocked up a sample, in reality I would be using a query to combine multiple of these files together, with a column on the output stating which workbook it was sourced from.

However, when I do this, the Sources column shouldn't be promoted to headers because that would promote a different header for each of the sources in column A, and this then disruptions my ability to merge the sources into one output table.

Any tips would be great! Jonny

Attachments

• ROI.xlsx
    12.8 KB · Views: 16
Sorry, there is no query in the sample file. What I wanted to do was see where you had got to and try to advise how to get round it, not to have to recreate it.

So you are pulling the data from Excel workbooks? Go into each and add a column called SOURCE and enter this formula in that column: =CELL("filename") and copy it down. Next you should be able to import them and append them to each other.

Back