Help with the Addcolumns DAX function to create a date calendar

jazzista

Reaction score
Excel Version(s)
Office 365
Hello: I have been able to create an automatic calendar table using the addcolumns function in powerbi desktop however I have an issue with column # 6 ( Quarter Year ) : I am not getting the correct result in that column. I am using the ceiling function in order to get the quarter number however its getting the month number instead (1,2,3,4,5 ) instead of a quarter number (1,2,3,4). What am I doing wrong in my formula? Any help would be really appreciated.
Regards

Attachments

• calendartable.pbix
    56.9 KB · Views: 12
Hey Jazzista,

My advice? Don't. Use Power Query.

A sample is attached. To add more columns, edit the query, select the Date column and go to Add Column --> Date --> Choose the one you want.

I never use the DAX calendar functions to build Calendar tables. I ALWAYS use Power Query, as they can be set up to be dynamic with your data. We actually cover this topic in great detail in our Power Query Academy

Attachments

• calendartable.pbix
    70.1 KB · Views: 15
Hey Jazzista,

My advice? Don't. Use Power Query.

A sample is attached. To add more columns, edit the query, select the Date column and go to Add Column --> Date --> Choose the one you want.

I never use the DAX calendar functions to build Calendar tables. I ALWAYS use Power Query, as they can be set up to be dynamic with your data. We actually cover this topic in great detail in our Power Query Academy

Mr Ken: Thanks for the reply. I will follow your advice of not using dax for calendar tables. I am going to look at the calendar you created in powerquery. Thanks once again

Back