Insert a line break in every other row

jazzista

Reaction score
Excel Version(s)
Office 365
Hello: I have a table with 2,000 + rows. I need to insert a whole blank row for each line. Is there a way to do this in power query? Attached is the a list of 30 rows out of the 2,000 rows. Thanks in advance for any help in this regard.

Attachments

• testroles.xlsx
    13.4 KB · Views: 8
Hi Jazzista,

Can I ask the "why" question on this one? I'm curious of the use case for this as I advise users to NEVER have blank rows in their source data. (Adding them kind of makes me feel dirty! :lol:)

Regardless, I've cooked up a sample that does it. Basically we need to:
  • Take your data and add an Index column
  • Reference that table in a new query
  • Remove all columns except the Index column
  • Append the original table
  • Sort based on your first column (ascending) and then your second column (descending)

Sample attached.

Attachments

• testroles.xlsx
    19.5 KB · Views: 9
Can I ask the "why" question on this one? I'm curious of the use case for this as I advise users to NEVER have blank rows in their source data. (Adding them kind of makes me feel dirty! :lol:)
Hi Mr. Pulse: Thanks for the solution. The reason why is for my boss ( Low tech accountant) wants to see the roles of the people for the oracle modules on a list so he can easily browse ( according to him). This is not going to be uploaded anywhere. Many Thanks for your prompt response. You have a really great website. There was another question that I posted in the powerpivot forum on your website regarding using the addcolumns function to create a date table. My quarter year column is not working correctly. If you can take a look at that post, I would really appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back