Renamed column heading in pivot table. Won't refresh data even with change source.

SunrayG

Reaction score
Excel Version(s)
I am new to Excel PivotTables and am not very good with excel either. I hope someone can help me answer this.

I renamed some my headings in my excel Pivot Table (Tabular Format) and when I try to refresh my data with the new data from the original table it only brings in the data from the headings that have not changed. Is there any way to rename headings without this problem? I will need to refresh my data on a regular basis and I cannot change the field names in my database.

Thanks so much for any help you can give.

Laura

Laura

If you cannot change the column name within the database then consider using MS Get data(Power Query) to act as an intermediary such that every time you refresh the data from the data base it is first pulled through get data , the column titles are changed and then the pivot table is refreshed. This will be a simple refresh that takes 2 seconds. If you are having problems than send fictitious data with the exact database structure and with the exact layout of the pivot table and I will set it up for you, then you will just need to refresh every time.

Knock 'em dead Tiger!

Hi and welcome
also please note that asking or solving questions via PM is not allowed on the forum. Thx

Pecoflyer

Assuming PM means private message, then I am a little confused! The gist of my message said fictitious data and data structure such that when I build out a model the same person can switch out the fictitious data with the real data (this would be all done on the main site and that is why "Fictitious data" is kinda important). If indeed that is against the forums policy then I have no problem with a "cease and desist" wrist slap!

Note a key reason that I include that message is because of Excels "Refresh" capabilities such that once a model is built then any new data can be pulled in and analysed versus that same person having to spend often quite a large amount of time coming up to speed with the various nuances associated with pivot tables, get Data, Dax, visualisations etc. Also often these same models do not take more than a couple of minutes if you know your way around the MS suite.

Back