Replacing an excel (file) data source with an (internal) query

christiane.latte

Reaction score
Excel Version(s)
Hei,

another thing: I need to replace a data source (external (= other location on my drive) excel file) with either a) a sharepoint list or b) with the result of a query (in the same file). However, when I click on change source, I can only replace the excel source with another excel source.
Is there any way to replace an excel source with some different source?

Kind regards,
Christiane

Absolutely.

Make a new query that connects to the new data source, and load it as a connection only. Use a name like "RawData-Sharepoint" or something. You will want to get as far in this query as drilling in to your raw data source table. (So if it's an Excel file, drill in to the table you want before you load that query.)

Go back to the original query and locate the step that shows the exact same output as you have in the other query. (Same format - so the first drilled in piece.) Right click that step and choose Extract Previous. It will prompt you with the name for the new query which you can call "RawData-Local" or something.

Now, go to your original query. The formula bar for the Source step should be showing #"RawData-Local". Change that to #"RawData-Sharepoint" and you should be good to go.

Back