Parameter for Data Source when Data Source is a Folder

Caleb_RB

Reaction score
Excel Version(s)
Excel 2016 Office 365
Hello,

I am trying to get a query that references a folder to change the file path with a parameter. I am wanting to do this so that it can be shared with several people and they can simple change the name in a cell and it will change the file path to their computer. However when I attempt to replace the file path with the parameter I get an error (attached below).

When doing this with anything other than a folder I can go to the source step and use the advanced option to add a parameter to the source, but I have not found the equivalent solution to this.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Caleb

Attachments

• Error.PNG
    Error.PNG
    5.4 KB · Views: 14
  • PQ Issue.PNG
    PQ Issue.PNG
    52.3 KB · Views: 15
  • AE for Query.PNG
    AE for Query.PNG
    55 KB · Views: 14
  • AE with Error.PNG
    AE with Error.PNG
    55 KB · Views: 17
One way

I like to set up ability to do multiple parameters. So (a) create function Get Value
Code:
// name this function GetValue
(ParameterName as text) =>
let
ParamSource = Excel.CurrentWorkbook(){[Name="Parameters"]}[Content],
ParamRow = Table.SelectRows(ParamSource, each ([Parameter] = ParameterName)),
Value=
if Table.IsEmpty(ParamRow)=true
then null
else Record.Field(ParamRow{0},"Value")
in
Value
(b) Create 2x2 table named "Parameters" in excel with column headers of "Parameter" and "Value" (c) In the first row under column headers, put "Path" and "c:\temp" (excluding quotes) as the parameter name and value
(d) Where you would normally have the path in any query, replace that path with GetValue("Path") so that
Code:
Source = Folder.Files("c:\temp"),
becomes
Code:
Source = Folder.Files(GetValue("Path")),

Any one can edit the parameter table to do a live change to the linked query paths

Last edited:
Back