Getting data into a chart?

LaCro

Reaction score
excel_chart.jpg

I have a chart with names going down the left side (A) and days of the week on top of the chart (in 1) .... This is found on the left side of the picture I attached. When I type names and dates to the right (in the picture, this is colored green), I would like to take that data and fill in the corresponding name & date in the blue shaded area (in the pic). The information placed in the blue chart does not matter....it can be the Name or the Date or an "x" or anything to note that a person and that date have matched.

There will never be a situation where a single person has more than one date, so I do not need help to exclude any duplicates (meaning, once Chris is on Friday one time in the green portion, he would never be on Friday in the green again). I hope this isn't too confusing but I wanted to point this out as it might save on the complexity of the needed formula.

At first I tried to use VLookup or Index & Match, but that did not work as it did not take into account both the day of the week and the name. Maybe I am not using them correctly, but I tried =index(I2:I11,match(A2,H2:H11,0)) but that did not place the correct date (for example Tuesday) in the Tuesday Row.

I hope I am clear with what I am trying to accomplish and hope someone can help. Thank you in advance.

in B2:
=IF(VLOOKUP($A2,$H$2:$I$11,2,0)=B$1,"x","")
copy down/across.

Or create a pivot table:
Capture.JPG
See attached (you could have provided such a file to save me doing a load of typing).

Attachments

• ExcelGuru36737.xlsx
    13.1 KB · Views: 144
Last edited:
Back