Check for Existing Records Before doing Insert

tommyt61

Reaction score
I am using a script of Ken's to insert data from my Excel to a table in my pervasive database. It works great , but i have come to realize that i need to check and make sure
that there are no existing records in my databse table that matches the data that i am about to insert. Long story short i do not need duplicate records in my database. I'll do my best to provide enough info.

Info:

my Name Range tblHeadings in Excel will have a column named Router_Number. This is the only column i need to check against the field Router_Number in my databse table. Of course there will be a Field in my database table named Router_Number. To sum it up the code works it's way down the Router_number column in my Excel Sheet and looks for duplicates or same numbers in the Router_Number field in my database table. I've tried doing a select query but just can't seem to get it to work. can someone help?

Thanks,

Here is the code:

Code:
'Author       : Ken Puls ([URL="http://www.excelguru.ca"]www.excelguru.ca[/URL])
'Macro purpose: To add record to a Pervasive database using ADO and SQL
'NOTE:  Reference to Microsoft ActiveX Data Objects Libary required

Dim cnt As New ADODB.Connection, _
            rst As New ADODB.Recordset, _
            dbPath As String, _
            tblName As String, _
            rngColHeads As Range, _
            rngTblRcds As Range, _
            colHead As String, _
            rcdDetail As String, _
            ch As Integer, _
            cl As Integer, _
            notNull As Boolean
    'Set the string to the path of your database as defined on the worksheet
    dbPath = ActiveSheet.Range("B1").Value
    tblName = ActiveSheet.Range("B2").Value
    Set rngColHeads = ActiveSheet.Range("tblHeadings")
    Set rngTblRcds = ActiveSheet.Range("tblRecords")
    'Concatenate a string with the names of the column headings
    colHead = " ("
    For ch = 1 To rngColHeads.Count
        colHead = colHead & rngColHeads.Columns(ch).Value
        Select Case ch
            Case Is = rngColHeads.Count
                colHead = colHead & ")"
            Case Else
                colHead = colHead & ","
        End Select
    Next ch

'Open connection to the database

' cnt.Open "Provider=PervasiveOLEDB;Data Source=demodata;Location=" & dbPath & ";"

cnt.Open "Provider=PervasiveOLEDB.;Data Source=demodata;User ID=Administrator;Password=Imnumber03;Location=lab-server;Cache Authentication=False;Encrypt Password=False;Mask Password=False;Persist Encrypted=False;Persist Security Info=False;Impersonation Level=Anonymous;Mode=ReadWrite;Protection Level=None;Port=1583;Pessimistic Read Lock=False;DirectOnly=False;LocalTCP=False;Initial Catalog=(Default)"

'Begin transaction processing
    On Error GoTo EndUpdate
    cnt.BeginTrans
    'Insert records into database from worksheet table
    For cl = 1 To rngTblRcds.Rows.Count
        'Assume record is completely Null, and open record string for concatenation
        notNull = False
        rcdDetail = "('"
        'Evaluate field in the record
        For ch = 1 To rngColHeads.Count
            Select Case rngTblRcds.Rows(cl).Columns(ch).Value
                    'if empty, append value of null to string
                Case Is = Empty
                    Select Case ch
                            rcdDetail = Left(rcdDetail, Len(rcdDetail) - 1) & "NULL)"
                        Case Else
                            rcdDetail = Left(rcdDetail, Len(rcdDetail) - 1) & "NULL,'"
                    End Select
                    'if not empty, set notNull to true, and append value to string
                Case Else
                    notNull = True
                    Select Case ch
                            rcdDetail = rcdDetail & rngTblRcds.Rows(cl).Columns(ch).Value & "')"
                        Case Else
                            rcdDetail = rcdDetail & rngTblRcds.Rows(cl).Columns(ch).Value & "','"
                    End Select
            End Select
        Next ch
        'If record consists of only Null values, do not insert it to table, otherwise
        'insert the record
        Select Case notNull
            Case Is = True

'rst.Open "INSERT INTO " & tblName & colHead & " VALUES " & rcdDetail, cnt

' Dim sSQL As String
        'sSQL = "INSERT INTO " & tblName & colHead & " VALUES " & rcdDetail
        'rst.Open sSQL, cnt

Dim sSQL As String
        sSQL = "INSERT INTO " & tblName & colHead & " VALUES " & rcdDetail
        MsgBox "Query: " & sSQL
        rst.Open sSQL, cnt

Case Is = False
                'do not insert record
        End Select
    Next cl
EndUpdate:
    'Check if error was encounted
    If Err.Number <> 0 Then
        'Error encountered.  Rollback transaction and inform user
        On Error Resume Next
        cnt.RollbackTrans
        MsgBox "There was an error.  Update was not succesful!", vbCritical, "Error!"
    Else
        On Error Resume Next
        cnt.CommitTrans
    End If
    'Close the ADO objects
    cnt.Close
    Set rst = Nothing
    Set cnt = Nothing
    On Error GoTo 0

Well, I see you've got a few options here...
  1. You could try and deal with it in the SQL here, testing before you insert the record, or
  2. You could retrieve a list of all of your Router_Number data, and then validate your record against it before you try and insert it via SQL.
There are some examples of the first option at this site: http://www.dmxzone.com/go?4615

Personally though, I like the second option better, as it only means one trip to the database, and I can then validate my data before I try and upload it. On the second option, you have a couple of routes to go as well:
  1. Stuff the retrieved list into an Excel range, add a column to your table, run a vlookup against it the retrieved list, and then in your loop you can upload records that need to be uploaded, or
  2. Retrieve the list into an Array (which you need to do anyway), then validate the data in the loop against the array. If the value isn't found then upload it.
You can find a routine to get you started here: http://www.excelguru.ca/node/23 (You'll need to adjust the connection string to work with pervasive.) The routine itself pushes into a range, but you could stop after you've got the array then check your data against it.

Gives you some options to play with to start. Let us know which route you decide to go and if you need any help with it. :)

thanks for the information, i was thinking of doing the vlookup option originally but was just making sure there may not be a beter way to go with it. Thanks again for the help.

Personally though, I like the second option better, as it only means one trip to the database, and I can then validate my data before I try and upload it.

Trouble with that is that most databases are multi-user, so someone else could have inserted it since you retrieved it.

Would the first option do any better, Bob? The upload is going to happen within seconds of retrieving the data. I'm just saying you'd pull down all your data, validate your set for upload, then upload it in one shot, rather than testing each record as you upload it. In theory, because you test, then upload, there is still the possibility someone could inject a record in the mean time, no?

I'll grant that it's less likely if you test as you go, but it really depends on the frequency of updates to your database table, and how long you hold the records before pushing those updates back to the DB.

Upload data to database from excel

Would the first option do any better, Bob? The upload is going to happen within seconds of retrieving the data. I'm just saying you'd pull down all your data, validate your set for upload, then upload it in one shot, rather than testing each record as you upload it. In theory, because you test, then upload, there is still the possibility someone could inject a record in the mean time, no?

I'll grant that it's less likely if you test as you go, but it really depends on the frequency of updates to your database table, and how long you hold the records before pushing those updates back to the DB.

I read this with interest as I have been trying to doing something similar.

As I mentioned (to Bob Philips) I found this utility (Excel-to-Database) that does transaction then rollback validation to check the data in each row.

If a primary key is set on a field (eg Router_Number) then a validation message is returned next to the row - so no need for any extra code. No need for any code at all in fact.

It would be interesting to here what you think of it

Excel-to-Database
http:\\leansoftware.net

Back