how to debug "download did not complete" message in Power Query

karimm

Reaction score
Hi All

I love Power Query.
But I frequently get this message "download did not complete" under a query in the Workbook Queries pane after refreshing the query.
I'm not able to understand whether this is an issue or not.
If it is, how can I debug it and resolve it?

Thanks,
Karim

I don't think it is - the query wondow, as I understand it, is merely a preview, so with large datasets, you won't see all the rows. This is why it's good to use the connection only option.

I don't think it is - the query wondow, as I understand it, is merely a preview, so with large datasets, you won't see all the rows. This is why it's good to use the connection only option.

Thanks AliGW for your reply.
As I wrote, the message shows in the Workbook Queries pane (the one on the right side where you see all queries), and not in the query window. Please see attached Image for reference.
DownloadDidNotComplete.jpg

I cannot use the connection only option, as I need to materialize the result into a "physical" table for issuing my report (pivots/sumifs etc...)

Ah, OK - sorry, my mistake. I don't know the answer, but a yellow triangle is never a good sign, so I would say that it matters. Are you sure that the connection with the source is still working? You have not moved or deleted the aource file?

Yes. Connection is there
Could it be that the cause of this is the fact that sources are excel files located in a shared folder?

Thanks AliGW for your reply.
As I wrote, the message shows in the Workbook Queries pane (the one on the right side where you see all queries), and not in the query window. Please see attached Image for reference.
View attachment 7776

I cannot use the connection only option, as I need to materialize the result into a "physical" table for issuing my report (pivots/sumifs etc...)
what is the connection only option? Sorry to be dumb - I'm new to this.

what is the connection only option?
It's where the results of the query don't directly show anywhere in the workbook; other options include to output the query results to a table on a sheet, to a pivot table on a sheet or a pivot chart. You can still refer to the query in other queries, and/or use the query results in the Data Model, whether or not the output goes to a workbook sheet.

Back