Data Entry

gohardrgohome

Reaction score
I have a database with names of people. I want to insert product company names and whether the company product that the individual has is an investment product, insurance product or if they have both. The intent is to be able to filter the list for each input. (I hope this is understandable)
I was thinking of using some sort of MultiSelect List Box for the Company and Product but I don't know if I can filter with this. What would be advised?

Example:
NameCompanyProduct
JohnEquitable Lifeinsurance
BillInvescoinvestment
GeorgeIA Claringtoninvestment
HarryIndustrial Allianceinsurance & investment

go to Data Validation
Under the Allow box Select List
Under the Source select the range you'l come up something like this =$M$2:$M$5
then hit ok.
you can use the fill handle to drag down the validation list now.

Then you can highlight A1:C1, click on FILTER

Attachments

• List Filtered.xlsx
    10.2 KB · Views: 13
Thanks for the quick response Logit. I'll throw a bit of a curve ball at you!
Can I somehow select multiple company names and product types for a person on the list, e.g., Bill has Equitable Life insurance as well as IA Clarington investments?

I believe if you used a PIVOT TABLE, that would provide you with the versatility you are seeking. Sadly, I am not adept with PIVOT TABLES.

If you used the workbook I posted above, you could accomplish the same thing by entering a separate row for the different products a client owns.
That is, you would need to enter two lines for JOHN, both being duplicates of each other with the exception of the investment product.

I've attached another small project that would be laid out in the same manner, but the searching method is easier ... simply type a name, or an address
or a phone number .. whatever you type, the search macro begins to display returns until you cease typing.

Attachments

• Client Investments.xlsm
    45.1 KB · Views: 18
I am sure there is a way to accomplish my task without creating a duplicate row. Each row I have in my file has numerous other columns so I don't want to have to make double entries. Perhaps someone else will chime in and advise me. Thanks.

You could place all of the client's investments on one row. Just dedicate more columns to the total number of investment options.

John Inv #1 Inv #2 Inv #3

or ... hopefully someone can provide a PIVOT TABLE solution.

Is this close to what you are after?

Attachments

• List Filtered 1.xlsx
    15.5 KB · Views: 13
Yes, I think this will work. Looks like the only way is to have multiple lines of info for the individual that is dealing with more than one company for insurance and investments. Maybe there are other ideas out there. Thanks.

I've been doing some reading on using Data Validation. Does anyone know if you can set it up so that more than one selection can be made from a dropdown list?

Back