Power Query - Subtract line by line, base on the amount used.

LuisPacheco

Reaction score
Excel Version(s)
Hello, I'm looking for some guideline in power query, I'm breaking my head without any good results and I know that these case are simple for some of you... What I'm looking are the below results using power query in excel:

Table 1:

Product Inventory Level
A 50
B 12
C 2
D 200

Table 2:

Index Product Used
1 A 5
2 A 10
3 A 2
4 A 1
5 A 20
1 B 5
2 B 5
3 B 20
4 B 50
1 C 1
2 C 1
1 D 100

Results:

IndexProductUsedInv. LevelInv. Level AmountUsed Current Amount
1A550450
2A1050350
3A250330
4A150320
5A2050120
1B51270
2B51220
3B2012018
4B5012050
1C1210
2C1200
1D1002001000

I hope that some one can shed a light on this!!

Attachments

• PQ_Subtract_LinesbyUsed.xlsx
    11.9 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
I've been waiting around for a while to see if someone more knowledgeable would answer it, so I could learn myself. Its been a while now, so I forced myself into giving it a try. I managed to get there...but it's probably a really long and laborious way of doing it. Hopefully it will work on your data, trusting you don't have thousands of rows to process. :)

Anyways, hope you can use some of this solution; else hang around for the other guru's to provide more optimized solutions.

View attachment PQ_Subtract_LinesbyUsed.xlsx

Cheers

To be honest, I didn't analyze Rudi's solution (apologies for that), but I just created the following solution, a query and a function:

Code:
let
    Source = Table.NestedJoin(Table2,{"Product"},Table1,{"Product"},"Table1",JoinKind.LeftOuter),
    #"Expanded Table1" = Table.ExpandTableColumn(Source, "Table1", {"Inventory Level"}, {"Inventory Level"}),
    #"Sorted Rows" = Table.Buffer(Table.Sort(#"Expanded Table1",{{"Product", Order.Ascending}, {"Index", Order.Ascending}})),
    #"Grouped Rows" = Table.Group(#"Sorted Rows", {"Product"}, {{"AllRows", AddColumns, Value.Type(AddColumns(#"Sorted Rows"))}}),
    #"Removed Columns" = Table.RemoveColumns(#"Grouped Rows",{"Product"}),
    #"Expanded AllRows" = Table.ExpandTableColumn(#"Removed Columns", "AllRows", {"Index", "Product", "Used", "Inventory Level", "Inv. Level Amount", "Used Current Amount"}, {"Index", "Product", "Used", "Inventory Level", "Inv. Level Amount", "Used Current Amount"})
in
    #"Expanded AllRows"

Function AddColumns:

Code:
(Table as table) as table =>
let
    Used = List.Buffer(Table[Used]),
    #"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(Table, "Inv. Level Amount", each List.Max({0,[Inventory Level] - List.Sum(List.FirstN(Used,[Index]))}), Int64.Type),
    #"Added Custom1" = Table.AddColumn(#"Added Custom", "Used Current Amount", each List.Min({[Used], -1 * List.Min({0,[Inventory Level] - List.Sum(List.FirstN(Used,[Index]))})}), Int64.Type)
in
    #"Added Custom1"

Hey Marcel... no apologies needed!!
I, however, will be scrutinizing your reply as I'm more than positive it's far better than my attempt. (It'll be a learning point for me too!)

Cheers

It's works!!! Thank you Rudi & Marcel. I'm really excited!!!! I appreciate your time and the knowledge that each of you dedicated to my case. Kind Regards

Revision 2

Hi Marcel, I hope that everything goes well, I'm trying to get a new solution from the code that you provided, I'm adding dates control to the Inventory Tables, these consumes needs to be applied according to the expiration date... I hope that you can take a look on the file and provide me some solution.

Kind Regards.

Attachments

• PQ_Subtract_LinesbyUsed_Rev2_.xlsx
    29.6 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
Hello Guru's, any idea are very helpful or a different way to resolve my request... :Cry:

Back