Power Query refresh removes manually entered data

nryan323

Reaction score
Hi all,

I also asked for help on the MrExcel forum and have gotten a response from one individual, but we haven't been successful.
I used Power Query to build a custom table and I want to enter data into the table after the fact. When I do this however and then refresh the table all the data goes away. The conditional formatting and data validation remain but no data.

Here's some more details:
The table I've set up with Power Query is somewhat complex (for me anyway). It's a combination of 2 tables that I transformed quite a bit before merging. The first table is TrainingMatrix. The second is PersonnelList. Here's what it all looks like.

HTML:
TrainingMatrix Table:                                                       PersonnelList Table:
        A            B              C             D                                   A            B
1     Doc ID     Category X     Category Y     Category Z                    1      Name        Title
2      001                         Yes            Yes                        2       Tuck         Eng
3      002           Yes                          Yes                        3       Dale         Tech
4      003           Yes           Yes                                       4       Ned        Neighbor

PQTable (transforms and merges top 2 tables):
        A            B           C       D        E
1     Doc ID      Category     Tuck     Dale     Ned
2      001           Y
3      001           Z
4      002           X          (This stuff will be
5      002           Z          filled in manually.)
6      003           X
7      003           Y

It's great because I can update the two source tables (add new rows/columns, add "Yes" to categories) and the Power Query table updates to match. I don't know if what I'm trying to do is possible. I've been at this for a few days with some help from other forums but no luck so far.
I've been told the answer lies in creating a self-referencing query by manipulating the code in the advanced editor. Here's the code of PQTable:

Code:
let
    Source = Excel.CurrentWorkbook(){[Name="TrainingMatrix"]}[Content],
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Doc ID", type text}, {"Category X", type text}, {"Category Y", type text}, {"Category Z", type text}}),
    #"Unpivoted Other Columns" = Table.UnpivotOtherColumns(#"Changed Type", {"Doc ID"}, "Attribute", "Value"),
    #"Removed Columns" = Table.RemoveColumns(#"Unpivoted Other Columns",{"Value"}),
    #"Renamed Columns" = Table.RenameColumns(#"Removed Columns",{{"Attribute", "Category"}}),
    #"Merged Queries" = Table.NestedJoin(#"Renamed Columns",{"Doc ID"},PersonnelList,{"Tuck"},"PersonnelList",JoinKind.LeftOuter),
    #"Expanded PersonnelList" = Table.ExpandTableColumn(#"Merged Queries", "PersonnelList", {"Tuck", "Dale", "Ned"}, {"Tuck", "Dale", "Ned"})
in
[COLOR=#333333][FONT='inherit'][COLOR=#222222][FONT=Verdana]     #"Expanded PersonnelList"[/FONT][/COLOR][/FONT][/COLOR]
Thank you in advance.
-Nick

Apologies Marcel. I've learned my lesson.

Thanks,
Nick

Back