Help with formula

Ajwilltravel

Reaction score
Excel Version(s)
MS Office Prof Plus 2013
View attachment Formula.xlsx

Hi there

Hoping a formula wiz can help me with this… please refer attached excel sheet.

In the highlighted cells I need to input formulas to covert values below to USD – so convert the values in column D, rows 19 to 63 (which are in source currency), by the highlighted rates for each currency in column D rows 66 to 73 – the common link being the text in column B – so convert each source currency value to USD and sum those converted values by the text (in column B) – e.g. convert to USD and sum all the ‘BHP Project Execution’s in cell D5 and so on. I then need to drag this formula across subsequent months (column E onwards).

Can anyone help?

Very much appreciated !

Last edited by a moderator:
Please manually enter your expected outcomes into the yellow cells and reattach your sample sheet.

Your examples rates are tosh, but how will they be in reality. Will the USD/EUR rate be .83866 or 1.19237? Will USD/AUD be 1.26042 or will it be .079345? Answer both specific examples please?

Updated Query - Help with Formula

Hi here is new attachment. I have made a very poor attempt at a formula in cell D7 - hopefully this shows what I am trying to achieve. Please let me know if not.. thanks again.

Attachments

• Formula Query.xlsx
    12.8 KB · Views: 16
We know what you are trying to achieve, but your new example actually has two different USD/AUD rates, and I asked specific questions which you didn't bother to answer, so I for one won't bother to try and solve it for you.

Why are you completely ignoring what you are being asked to do? I asked you to manually enter your expected outcomes into the yellow cells, not make an attempt at a formula which tells us nothing other than you don't know what you are doing. Bob has asked you to clarify the exchange rate structure, which you have failed to do. Do you really expect people to help you when you won't give them the information they ask for?

Last edited:
View attachment Formula Query.xlsx

The rates I have input in the new example are correct. We have 2 sets of exchange rates for each currency - a forecast rate and a budget rate. For this particular project the two different sets of rates are the same in the current month (until we update our FX protocols) for all currencies except AUD/USD FX as this forecast rate changes quarterly (as we are in Australia reporting to US). The other currency's forecast rates change either quarterly or annually - so the forecast and budget rates will change in future. so there are no set rates for entire project duration - so the formula needs to point to location of that months rates (not just one rate for each curr), phased across the months (or I could put a rate table in another worksheet. The 'forecast rates' that I have highlighted (apart from the AUD/USD) will change quarterly. The budget rates (unhighlighted) will remain fixed for project duration. As for inputting the expected outcome, this is not possible without entering a formula.

I have used this method on a previous thread for a very similar question (input my attempt at the formula) and I received a solution straight away. I know my formula is very close and I think it's easy to follow what I'm trying to achieve from looking at the attempted formula, along with my initial explanation. I just want to make the formula smarter. I'm assuming Bob understands what I'm trying to achieve so will await his reply now that I've explained the FX rates. I have attached an updated example which makes the FX rate changes more clear. Thanks

I just want to make the formula smarter. I'm assuming Bob understands what I'm trying to achieve so will await his reply now that I've explained the FX rates. I have attached an updated example which makes the FX rate changes more clear. Thanks

You can have a pop at me if you like, but you are the one slowing this process down. Telling us your expected outcomes will help you to a quicker resolution.

What are youe EXPECTED OUTCOMES in the yellow cells?

Excel 2016 (Windows) 32 bit
B
C
D
E
USD
Period
Activity
Curr.
Aug-17
BHP Project Execution
USD
<<< ???
BHP Direct Services
USD
<<< ???
Project Services - MOPS
USD
FALSE
<<< ???
Projects
USD
<<< ???
Mech Maintenance
USD
<<< ???
Shipyard Project Team
USD
<<< ???
MMS Crew Indirect Costs
USD
<<< ???
BHPB Personnel Indirect Cost
USD
<<< ???
Contingency
USD
<<< ???
Sheet: Sheet1

Last edited:
I so appreciate help but I don't understand why you are being aggressive. I'm very new to these types of forums so a little patience would be nice. I don't understand what you mean by expected outcomes. To clarify I know what an expected outcome is! And I did understand you meant the yellow cells. Do you mean the answers calculated, i.e. numbers? I'm sorry this irritates you so much but I don't understand your request.

I'm not being aggressive - I just don't understand why you are unwilling to give the information, and when one is trying to help (which is what I am trying to do), it's quite frustrating when someone stonewalls. If you want the help, please answer the questions. If you don't understand the questions, just say so and we can clarify.

What are your manually calculated values that should appear in those yellow cells? What values do you want the formula to return?

... this is not possible without entering a formula.

Yes, it is. Use your calculator and then type the result manually into the cell. Then we can work out a formula that does what you need.

Let me know how close this is to what you want. Copy and paste this into D5:

=IFNA(INDEX($D$19:$D$63,MATCH(1,($B$19:$B$63=B5)*($C$19:$C$63<>C5)*($D$19:$D$63<>""),0))*INDEX($D$67:$D$74,MATCH(INDEX($C$19:$C$63,MATCH(1,($B$19:$B$63=B5)*($C$19:$C$63<>C5)*($D$19:$D$63<>""),0)),$C$67:$C$74,0)),INDEX($D$19:$D$63,MATCH(1,($B$19:$B$63=B5)*($C$19:$C$63=C5),0)))

and then confirm it by pressing CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER (not just ENTER). You will see that curly brackets {} will appear round it (don't try to type these in - it won't work). Next, drag copy the formula down.

What it does is this (which is what I have attempted to derive from your incorrect formula):

1. See if there is another currency other than USD with a value in it that matches the activity.
2. If there is, look up its exchange rate lower down the page and multiply it (the exchange rate) by the figure found next to the currency in the first lookup table.
3. If there is no other currency with a value other than USD, return the USD value in the first lookup table.

Step 3 is the bit I am not sure I've interpreted correctly, as it doesn't seem to be catered for in your failed formula.

Excel 2016 (Windows) 32 bit
B
C
D
USD
Period
Activity
Curr.
Aug-17
BHP Project Execution
USD
BHP Direct Services
USD
Project Services - MOPS
USD
Projects
USD
Mech Maintenance
USD
Shipyard Project Team
USD
MMS Crew Indirect Costs
USD
BHPB Personnel Indirect Cost
USD
Contingency
USD
GRAND TOTAL
Sheet: Sheet1

Last edited:
There's a calculator on your PC!!! Do you think I was born yesterday? ;)

See post #12 above and the attachment.

Attachments

• Exchange Rate Calculation AliGW.xlsx
    15.8 KB · Views: 4
OK - let me have another look.

OK - I understand. Give me five minutes to tweak my formula.

Last edited:
OK. It's an array formula (C+S+E as before):

=INDEX($D$19:$D$63,MATCH(1,($B$19:$B$63=B5)*($C$19:$C$63=C5),0))+INDEX($D$19:$D$63,MATCH(1,($B$19:$B$63=B5)*($C$19:$C$63="AUD"),0))*INDEX($D$67:$D$74,MATCH("AUD",$C$67:$C$74,0))+INDEX($D$19:$D$63,MATCH(1,($B$19:$B$63=B5)*($C$19:$C$63="NOK"),0))*INDEX($D$67:$D$74,MATCH("NOK",$C$67:$C$74,0))+INDEX($D$19:$D$63,MATCH(1,($B$19:$B$63=B5)*($C$19:$C$63="EUR"),0))*INDEX($D$67:$D$74,MATCH("EUR",$C$67:$C$74,0))+INDEX($D$19:$D$63,MATCH(1,($B$19:$B$63=B5)*($C$19:$C$63="SGD"),0))*INDEX($D$67:$D$74,MATCH("SGD",$C$67:$C$74,0))

Attachments

• Exchange Rate Calculation AliGW.xlsx
    13.8 KB · Views: 5
And here's a version that you can enter into D5 and drag copy across to the other months and down:

=INDEX(D$19: D$63,MATCH(1,($B$19:$B$63=$B5)*($C$19:$C$63=$C5),0))+INDEX(D$19: D$63,MATCH(1,($B$19:$B$63=$B5)*($C$19:$C$63="AUD"),0))*INDEX(D$67: D$74,MATCH("AUD",$C$67:$C$74,0))+INDEX(D$19: D$63,MATCH(1,($B$19:$B$63=$B5)*($C$19:$C$63="NOK"),0))*INDEX(D$67: D$74,MATCH("NOK",$C$67:$C$74,0))+INDEX(D$19: D$63,MATCH(1,($B$19:$B$63=$B5)*($C$19:$C$63="EUR"),0))*INDEX(D$67: D$74,MATCH("EUR",$C$67:$C$74,0))+INDEX(D$19: D$63,MATCH(1,($B$19:$B$63=$B5)*($C$19:$C$63="SGD"),0))*INDEX(D$67: D$74,MATCH("SGD",$C$67:$C$74,0))

Am I to assume that you have tried the formula and it works for you? Please give some feedback. Thanks.

That works thank you!!! Sorry for late reply but I finished work Friday before I could test it, just back this morning. I am in different time-zone - Australia. thanks again!

Back