Looking For Beta Testers

Hi again Ken. Finally had the chance to have a play around, but while the addin seemed to install okay, I'm having a few problems.
For instance, if I go to add a folder to my favorites, as per below:
Addin issues 1.jpg

...then I get an error message "There was an error updating the database", as per the below:
Addin issues 2.png

And I also get an error if trying to add the active workbook to the favorites folder:
addin issues 3.png

I haven't tried to reinstall or anything yet.

Any thoughts?

I'm using Excel 2010.

Hi Jeff,

That's weird... it's like it doesn't have the database available to write to. If you go to File Tools-->Manage Favourites-->Manage Favourites Databases do you see a database listed there at all?

Hi Ken. Yes, and also the likely problem:

Users\Jeff\AppData\Local\Temp\Temp1_XLGFileTools.zip\XLGFileTools-Jeff.accdb

So here's a question... would you:
-Ignore this issue
-Code a check in that checks if the addin is running from a zip file
-Use something like InnoSetup to create a distributable exe file

I've always avoided the last, as that has the possibility of prohibting some users from being able to install without IT help. And the second never occured to me until you brought it up. :)

I guess the 2nd one is the way to go. To tell you the truth, I often have problems just installing add-ins, let alone programming them. I install them so infrequently, that I forget exactly what the heck I'm supposed to be doing.

I can't seem to get your addin pointing to the right place. The addi-in is certainly saved somewhere it should be:
Addin issues 4.jpg

I don't know why the database is in the temp file. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the addin, launching it via explorer, overwriting the path specified in your addin, but either it simply doesn't work or I'm an even lower common denominator than I thought.

Maybe we could skype, and I could share my desktop with you so we could walk through it together? Skype ID is JeffreyWeir.

Hi Jeff,

Try this...

-Go to File Tools-->Configure Options-->Options
-Click Clear Database List
-Click Done
-Restart Excel

I think what's happened is that you installed it from the zip file first. It automatically creates a database in the same folder as the addin location and puts that in the registry. By clearing the list, then re-opening Excel (or unloading/reloading the addin) it should fix it for you.

Let me know,

Hi Ken. I did all that, and the addin is now pointing towards C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office14\ADDINS\XLGFileTools-Jeff.accdb but there is no such database in that folder. I even tried uninstalling the addin, deleting it off my system, downloading a new one, then reinstalling, but it just doesn't seem to create that database. Any thoughts?

Hi Jeff,

Let's try clearing this thing out completely...
  • Close Excel
  • Delete the Add-in from wherever you saved it
  • Delete any database copies that you find as well
  • Open Excel and let it "Remove the add-in from the list" when prompted (you may have to go to the add-ins dialog to trigger that.)
  • Close Excel
  • Re-open Excel to confirm that it is really gone
  • Close Excel

Now, let's also go and gong all the registry keys too, just to be safe. Standard caveats apply to registry edits... delete anything else at your own risk!
  • Press Windows+R to bring up the Run dialog
  • Type regedit and press enter
  • Browse to HKey_Current_User\Software\VB and VBA Program Settings\Excelguru
  • Delete the entire FileTools folder

Once that's done, download a new copy of the add-in and save it in a data directory somewhere... say in "My Documents\Excelguru" or something. I'd avoid any of the systems directories. Then
  • Open Excel
  • Go to the add-ins dialog
  • Browse to the add-in in the directory you saved it in
  • If it asks if you want to copy it, I'd say no. (Just run it from where it is, and this makes it easy to find your database.)

Let me know if that helps. If not I'd be happy to arrange a skype/livemeeting with you to figure out what's going on. :)

error updating the database

Hi Ken,

I installed 'XLGFileTools.xlam', basically it works. A problem occures, when I try to enter a break in 'Manage Favourites Folder".
Info: "There was an error updating the database"
Excel 2007, no DB Access installed - is this causing the problem?

Ken,

Really love the Add-in I'm all about making my work time more efficient, and for me this toolbar will definitely help ( for me at least:)) . So far have not had any issues , but i will post any i run across . Thanks

Ken,

noticed some errors popping in the error log when i am working in Managing Favourites. Everyrthing works fine just thought you might want to know about the errors getting generated.

06/28/12 09:15:30 [XLGFileTools.xlam]clsDBLink.dbOpen, Error 91: Object variable or With block variable not set
06/28/12 09:24:57 [XLGFileTools.xlam]modGlobalProcedures.AddWorkbook, Error 94: Object variable or With block variable not set
06/28/12 09:58:06 [XLGFileTools.xlam]clsDBLink.ReIndex, Error 9: Subscript out of range
06/28/12 09:58:08 [XLGFileTools.xlam]clsDBLink.ReIndex, Error 9: Subscript out of range
06/28/12 10:01:13 [XLGFileTools.xlam]clsDBLink.ReIndex, Error 9: Subscript out of range

Thanks guys. I need to loop back on this, just have been insanely busy. Tommy, glad you're liking it so far. :)

Hey everyone,

It's taken way too long, but I finally sat down and worked through some of the known bugs that you guys brought up and a bunch more that I found over the past few months.

New version is 2.006 and can be downloaded here

Tommy, you may want to delete the old error log before you give this a go. :)

Aldus, not sure on the database question. I've tried to repro your issue here and I can't. So if you're still using it and encounter the issue again, please let me know.

Hi Ken,

after installing your new version 2.006:
The error-message is still there, when I try to enter a break in 'Manage Favourites Folder".
error1.jpg

Hi Ken,

As my first post is not online I repost it !
In fact after using with happiness for few years your XLG Favourite add'in, I downloaded last week your Files Tools add'in and I faced some issues.
Indeed as I can add a file from the menu "Manage Favourite File", I am not able to open this file from the menu "Favourite Files" : Although the file is present in the list, its selection does not work.
In the same way, "Add active file to favourites menu" seems not to work.
I don't know if I am the only user to experience this bug perhaps due to my French version of XL ?
Best regards

Philippe

Hi Philippe,

Not sure. Can you email me the error log that will be in the same directory as the add-in? Ken at ExcelGuru dot ca

Thanks,

Back