Thread: Export CSV for large data cubes

Export CSV for large data cubes

Register for a FREE account, and/
    or Log in to avoid these ads!

Hello All,

I have data which began as a csv file (I don't have access to the original source). After significant modification with PowerQuery (thank you Ken Puls for that) I have the data shaped the way I need it and have loaded it into the data model in PowerPivot. The problem is, I now need to get the data back out into a new csv file. Clearly PowerPivot does not have an export to csv option, so I downloaded and installed DAX Studio to handle this. This works well for small sample files (a few million rows); however, my actual data is close to 1 billion rows. When I try to use:

Evaluate (Table Name)

in DAX Studio I get the error:

the server sent an unrecognizable response

and the operation fails. Can anyone help me figure out how to get the data to a csv or text file? This is mission critical for me and I am open to anything VBA, C#, other options, provided that it works. Any help is greatly appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Brendan

Here is a long shot, but it might work.

You can use a Power Pivot model as a source for an SSAS - Tabular database.
    You can use SS Reporting Services to create a report from SSAS -Tabular.
    I believe there is an option for SSRS reports to export to CSV.

If you do not have access to an instance of SSAS - Tabular, you might be able to find a Trial Version with full capabilities for one to three months. There is also a free developer version, but I think your work probably falls under production instead of development.

A couple links to get you started:
    https://www.sqlshack.com/create-simp...odel-database/
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sql...ilder-and-ssrs

Best regards and please post back your results,

Tom
    www.powerpivotpro.com