PowerPivot doesn't recognize new source columns

cmajka

Reaction score
Excel Version(s)
O365
Hi all -

I have added several new source columns to my query - when I click on refresh I see the new columns in PQ, however, they are not being added to the data model in Power Pivot, hence, I cannot see them in my field list for my pivot table / report. I am using Excel 2016.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Hi Paul - I am not sure of that option, where can I find it? Also, does it work with just a 'Load to data model - connection only'?

I have added several new source columns to my query - when I click on refresh I see the new columns in PQ, however, they are not being added to the data model in Power Pivot, hence, I cannot see them in my field list for my pivot table / report. I am using Excel 2016.

That's odd, and shouldn't happen with the data model. You're certain that you're looking at the correct table (Sorry, have to ask!)

One thing you could try is changing the load behaviour so that it doesn't load to the data model, then change it back so that it does. That should delete and re-create the table, fixing any issues. Just be aware that all measures and relationships on/to the table will get deleted and need to be re-created.

If you select the query and then select Properties from the Data, Connections ribbon the properties for that Query will be displayed and one of the check boxes is Preserve Columns sort/filter/layout.

Paul

Hi Paul - is this on Excel 2016? I don't see that check box under the Connection Properties...I see a Usage tab and a Definition tab, but no check box on either tab for Preserve Columns

Unfortunately, yes, I've checked and double checked the table I am looking at is the right one...I was worried I was just losing my mind! I have roughly 75 pivot tables connected to this data model so I guess that would be a last resort, so I don't lose the connections and relationships...I'll continue searching for a solution. Thanks Ken!

I can also tell you that I opened a blank workbook and created a brand new query and loaded the data to the new data model via connection only. The new fields are available in the new pivot table field list.

Back