Cell changes format (font text/cell colour) all on its own

rayysai

Reaction score
Hi all, thanks for this great source to help us Excel newbies out!

1. I'm messaging you because i have a problem where a cell (B13) looks like a normal cell (white background, black font default), but as soon as i enter text into it the cell becomes light blue and the font in it goes white.then if i hit enter, and enter text into the cell below it (B14: originally gray cell colour with black font), the cell B14 keeps its grey cell colour but the font goes white? then the cell below that one (B15: originally white cell colour with black font), when i enter a text into it, goes back to the blue cell colour and white font like B13.

there is no conditional formatting on these cells other than 1 rule i created to alternate cell colours between white and grey.

any idea what's happening?

2. as an added peculiarity, I tried to copy and paste B13-B15 to a new excel file and it doesn't repeat that same thing. how do i correct this on my original document?

i attached the sheet im working on (took it out of a bigger one for sensitivity purposes)

thanks for your help

Attachments

• troubleshooting b13-b15.xlsx
    36.2 KB · Views: 39
Hi Navic, I'm not sure what you did though I must say that I found some setting in excel where it turns off 'continuous formatting in a pattern' or something and i seemed to fix it on my own. That being said, I may have not chosen the right solution, but for now the file you attached acts properly just like my changes should show. did you do something else? if so can you please educate me on what it is?

Prevent autoformat cell color in Excel

did you do something else? if so can you please educate me on what it is?
I do not know which Excel settings you have and which version Excel you use. Also, I do not know the entire history of creating this Excel file.(copy, paste, format etc...)
I see the problem in the following cells:
B8, B9 and B10. For example, if you just remove "Bold" in one of them, then Excel will not automatically copy the background of the cell? (Is this a "Bug" or not I do not know)? Maybe I noticed this quite by accident, does not have to be the real cause.

Also, remove protection 'Locked' from range B13:B100 and try.

Also try to do the following
File -> Options -> Advanced -> Uncheck checkbox: 'Extend data range formats and formulas'.
But the uncheck of these option can reduce full functionality in some other situations.
regards

Back