One step, many sum functions

lifeline

Reaction score
I have a spreadsheet where I want to sum the values of a few cells in non-congruous columns, and enter the result in the last column of the same row. For example =SUM(B6,H6,L6) would be for row six. Result is in Z6. Pretty simple.

Here's my problem: how can I make that happen in hundreds of rows without having to enter a Sum function for each one? This seems like such a simple thing and yet I can't find anywhere online it is explained. Very frustrating. There's got to be an easier way.

you can use SUM(B6:H6)..this would sum all the cells which lie between B6 and H6.

I hope this is what you want to ask ??

you can use SUM(B6:H6)..this would sum all the cells which lie between B6 and H6.

No, that would just get me one sum. I need many individual sums; one per row. Thanks though.

Can you please put a snapshot of what you want..? Would be easier for me to understand

Screen shot 2012-02-29 at 2.09.17 AM.jpg

Ok, the spaces in the blue columns are (or should be) the total of the white spaces directly to their left. Each spot in the green column should be the total of the 3 blue columns to its left.

This list goes down about 600 rows. If I have to do that one SUM function at a time I'm going to die.

I'm not sure I see the problem. You enter the SUM formulas in the first row then just fill them down (double-click the bottom right corner of the formula cell).

Just add the formulas in the first row and drag the cells down to the 600th row ( as ur req says so). Do it for all the cells which contain formulas in first line. Its done..!!! See the file attached for your perusal..

Attachments

• New Microsoft Office Excel Worksheet.xlsx
    9.5 KB · Views: 22
Back