Excel newb needs help with formula

maveiro

Reaction score
Hey folks,

I am in need of a formula that can provide totals for Linear feet, Board Feet and Squared Footage based on varying measurements but dependent on a material database.

LenghtWidthThicknessLinear FeetBoard FeetSquared Feet
Maple
???
Plywood
???
Baseboard MDF
???

The material database is essential since the material dictates the footage needed, plywood's are measured in squared feet, solid woods in board feet and baseboard in linear feet, therefore a database of materials is needed to that the formula recognizes the key word listed in the material column and pulls from the database to choose which footage to calculate it under.

Is this even possible?

Thank you for your help

Attachments

• CUT LIST.xlsx
    14.9 KB · Views: 14
I'm not sure I fully understand where you are going with this but combining the three materials sheets in to one table and adding a column for the material type would enable you to easily do a lookup against the material to find the measurment type.

Sheet1 of my example shows the combined table and Sheet2 gives an example of a dropdown selection in cell A2 and a vlookup for measument type in B2.

If you like that then please explain a bit more about where you want to go from there.

Paul Christie

Attachments

• Cut List V2.xlsx
    10.9 KB · Views: 25
Back