Entering time in a cell formated for time

rdwray

Reaction score
Excel Version(s)
Excel 2010: I formatted a cell for time (h:mm) but when I enter a single number such as 3, it return 0:00. I have to enter 3:00 before it will accept it.

Hi - when you enter '3' in this case you are actually entering 3 days, as Excel sees it

As such, Excel actually see this value as midnight on 3 January 1900 (hence, still 0:00 when viewed as h:mm)

You could enter =TIME(3, 0, 0) to enter 3 hours, and this would show as 3:00

Hi - when you enter '3' in this case you are actually entering 3 days, as Excel sees it

As such, Excel actually see this value as midnight on 3 January 1900 (hence, still 0:00 when viewed as h:mm)

You could enter =TIME(3, 0, 0) to enter 3 hours, and this would show as 3:00

Just want to enter the time into a cell. Don't understand why they put the date stamp in with the time, it makes formatting the cell for time useless because it has to be typed in as text anyway.

3 hours is not a real time, it's a time duration.

What do you enter for 3 minutes?
What would you enter for 3 hours and 3 minutes?

If you have consistency in the way you enter the hours and minutes, and are able to use macros,
you could make use of the worksheets' Change event to run code to manipulate your entry.

3 hours is not a real time, it's a time duration.

What do you enter for 3 minutes?
What would you enter for 3 hours and 3 minutes?

If you have consistency in the way you enter the hours and minutes, and are able to use macros,
you could make use of the worksheets' Change event to run code to manipulate your entry.

Just thinking that if it is smart enough to apply the 3 to the day of the month, why not apply it to the hour of 3 and the minutes enter manually? VBA could be used by adding a button to the sheet which would work, but I was wanting to keep as much in the cells as possible. Will probably end of setting it to text and go with manual input of the time.

Pretty sure Microsoft and everybody using Excel won't be changing everything they have regarding date and time to accommodate your way of thinking.

But like I said, the Worksheet_Change Event can handle things any way you want.
No buttons necessary, happens as soon as you hit the enter key.

Pretty sure Microsoft and everybody using Excel won't be changing everything they have regarding date and time to accommodate your way of thinking.

But like I said, the Worksheet_Change Event can handle things any way you want.
No buttons necessary, happens as soon as you hit the enter key.

I am well aware of how every event that Excel has works and well beyond the Windows API.

That would be difficult to establish based on the question you asked but that's Okay, we'll just leave it with ya.

Let's stick to the question, please. If you have nothing further to offer in the way of help, then simply step away from the thread. You are getting dangerously close, both of you, to overstepping the rules on forum etiquette. Thanks for your co-operation! :)

Back