Ribbon missing when going from Excel 2007 to Excel 2010

Paulzak

Reaction score
My app has a custom ribbon, developed and run in Excel 2007. Recently, one external user group upgraded to Excel 2010 and now when those users load the app, the opening code runs fine but they do not see the custom ribbon that normally loads after the initial VBA code runs.

I've found mention of Custom UI Editor's 2010 "part" but I'm confused because much of what was written seems to indicate that the ribbon should work fine in either 2007 or 2010 version (thus, is not a migration issue). I've also read that you only need to use UI14.xml part if you're creating a ribbon with Backstage functionality that's only avail. in 2010. There isn't much posted about folks not seeing the custom ribbon at all when going from Excel 2007 to 2010.

So, right now I'm wondering:

Do I need to have all of the ribbon code in BOTH the customUI.xml and customUI14.xml parts? (Seems too redundant)

Or, do I just need to add the namespace to UI14.xml part but keep all of existing ribbonX code in other part?
schemas.microsoft.com/office/2009/07/customui

I'm trying to get a copy of Office 2010 installed for my direct use but don't have it yet to test myself.
Just looking for some initial guidance or maybe a link or two to related webpage(s) or post(s) so I can solve this ASAP.

Post your workbook and we can test it.

Thanks for the offer to try my file. I'd have to get permission from management before I could posit it publicly because it contains proprietrary information. So that's not likely to happen.

I have been able to install Excel 2010 on my PC (along with the existing Excel 2007) and the app loads with the ribbon just fine. But again, I have both 2007 and 2010 loaded, and I only installed Excel 2010 and Access 2010, not the entire Office 2010 suite.

Since it runs fine for me, I suspect there's some Office or Excel setting that's stopping the custom ribbon from loading for them. I've tried changing several of my Excel settings in 2010 but the custom ribbon always loads for me fine. Ugh! I'm trying to get our HQ office to find a PC with Excel 2010 to also test. Maybe this field team's setup of MS Office if different from my setup?

Excel 2010 has been out there for a while now. And I know the ribbon was a bit intimidating to work with in VBA at first, but I hope there are other folks creating custom ribbons...yes? Still, there isn't really anything posted about this on the Web that I can find. Odd. Any other ideas out there??

Yep, I create custom ribbons all the time, and I haven't come across this.

I haven't run into this yet either.

What's different between this user's machine and yours? Same OS? Has IT done anything to the machine to lock things down? Are macros enabled?

It can't be as simple as....

the user having lost the location as a trusted one when they migrated to 2010 can it. (Nahhhh - too obvious)

Did you ever resolve this issue? I am having exactly the same problem.

Back