Thread: modify complex find formula

modify complex find formula

Register for a FREE account, and/
    or Log in to avoid these ads!

Hi all,
    my first post,
    I cant post link to sheet so I have put up a picture with formula below

I need to modify my formula in B to give me the results I have listed in Colum C
    =IFERROR(IFERROR(MID(A2,FIND("available for",A2)+14,10),MID(A2,FIND("Error: Material",A2)+16,15)),"")

my result varys in length so using +14,10 after search term is not working well as I'm either losing data or returning too much. can spaces be used ?

I hope this makes sense
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	87.9 KB 
ID:	6269

Articles
    Excel Version
    2010 on Xubuntu
    Could you please post the sheet on the forum ? ( click Go Advanced - Manage Attachments)

Is the data to be extracted always between double quotes? (there is one string without them)
    Thank you Ken for this secure forum.

thanks for the reply Peco. unfortunately double quotes are not guaranteed, there is always a space either side of the result, leaving in double quotes is not an issue, my problem is missing data or too much meaning my pivot is all over the place, i have attached a sample file as requested. Jay.Copy of EXCELGURU.xlsx

Peco, VBA function may be an option but i dont know much about it, was reading on forum, workbook can have VBA / Macros . basically anything that will work. on my full workbook i have a macro to fill in my pivot so maybe I could use a macro to tidy up my result in column B

Articles
    Excel Version
    Excel 2013
    In B2 cell try formula (copy down)
    Code:
    =IF(TRIM(MID(SUBSTITUTE(A2;"""";REPT(" ";255));255;255))="";MID(A2;FIND("available for";A2)+14;10);TRIM(MID(SUBSTITUTE(A2;"""";REPT(" ";255));255;255)))
    My personal Web Excel Tutorials
    Attention! In the formulas as a delimiter I use a semicolon (; ) if you using my formula, then perhaps you need to use a comma (,)
    Also for a decimal number I use a comma (,) you may need to use point (.) instead of