AVERAGE(INDIRECT) Function

Dez

Reaction score
Hi I am trying to create a formula in cell C3 in worksheet A that will let me average 7 cells in range D2:J2 in worksheet B (SnowDepthData)and then drag the formula across in worksheet A so cell D3 will contain the average of cells K2:Q2 from worksheet B and E3 will contain average of R2:X2 ad so on.

I have been tying the below formula with not much luck:

=AVERAGE(INDIRECT("SnowDepthData!D2:J2" & COLUMN()*7-6 & ":SnowDepthData!D2:J2" & COLUMN()*7))

Thanks Dez

Could you please post a sample sheet? ( no pics please) - Click Go advanced - Manage attachments to attach a sheet

Hi I have attached a sample worksheet, I want to be able to copy or drag the formula in A1 and B1 and C1 to D1 where it will average cells M3:p3 not I3:L3

Attachments

• Sample.xlsx
    7.7 KB · Views: 17
So in A1 average A3:D3
in B1 E3:L3
and C1 M3:p3
It's faster to type the formula in C1 than to type the necessary one in B1 and drag it right

Your example is also very different from the explanation you provided in post #1

Last edited:
Average multiple group of 7 cells in same row

Hi I have attached a sample worksheet,
based on your attached file

(copy formula across)
Code:
=IFERROR(AVERAGE(INDEX($D$2:$XFD$2;1+((COLUMN(A1)-1)*7)):INDEX($D$2:$XFD$2;3+((COLUMN(A1)-1)*7)));"")
If you want use helper row then
Code:
=AVERAGEIF($D$1:$X$1;COLUMN(A1);$D$2:$X$2)

Attachments

• dez-navic6980.xlsx
    10.9 KB · Views: 14
Thanks Pecoflyer I just thought I 'd attach a simpler explanation in my example but the concept of what I was trying to achieve is the same, I am using a large data set so typing in individually in each cell would be impossible.
Thank you Navic that looks like exactly what I am after hopefully I can transpose it into my worksheets.
Kind Regards
Dez

Back