Help - Increasing spreadsheet efficiency - intelligent formulas - Client follow up

camiloeslu

Reaction score
Hi.

I appreciate help with the following issue.

I’ve constructed a spreadsheet that automatically brings the Last Follow Up Date and Last Comments of my customers according to my follow up.

#CustomerPhoneLast contact dateDescription1-Oct2-Oct3-Oct4-Oct5-Oct6-Oct7-Oct8-Oct9-Oct10-Oct11-Oct12-Oct13-Oct14-Oct15-Oct16-Oct17-Oct18-Oct19-Oct20-Oct21-Oct22-Oct
1John Doe111111119-OctThe customer is interested in a long term agreement.Called the customerHad a meeting with the customerThe customer is interested in a long term agreement.
2James Hetfield222222215-NovWe started working with the customerThe customer called
3Lars Ulrich1212121220-OctThe customer is not interestedThe customer is not interested
4Kirk Hammet1313131318-DecThe customer said we gave him the best serviceSent follow up mail
5Melissa Palmer1414141415-OctWe made our fist approachWe got Melissas card on a conventionWe made our fist approach

Lately I’m having speed problems with my spreadsheet, this considering that im working with arrays and I have around 40,000 customers.

I was wondering if there is a way to make my formulas more efficient in order to avoid the occasional stop of my spreadsheet.

Ive attached a sample of my spreadsheet.

I really hope you can help me.

Best regards.

Camilo

View attachment Xcel Guru - Clients Follow Up Exercise.xlsx

Last edited by a moderator:
No idea if it will speed things up, but you could use this in F4 copied down:

=INDEX($G4:$CJ4,,MATCH($E4,$G$3:$CJ$3,0))

You are working with arrays, but not with array formulae, which would be confirmed using CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER and would appear with curly brackets {}.

Thanks for the advice, but the spreadsheet does not seem to be faster. Probably the formula to best optimize would be the one related with the "last contact date".

I doubt you can optimise that formula any further. In the real spreadsheet, are you using entire column references (e.g. A:A) instead of limiting them? If so, this is the most likely culprit for slowing things down. Neither of the formulae you are using is an array formula, and the overhead will not be high, so something else must be coming into play.

Since you've already done the matching in column E, use the value therein with a LOOKUP; in cell F5:
=LOOKUP(E5,$G$3:$CJ$3,$G5:$CJ5)
and copy down.
Don't know if it's any more efficient though.

Back