Conditional formattatin

Thavrajah

Reaction score
How do use conditional formatting based on value of the 1st row. Instead filled the fomatting rulles on each cell.
conditional formatting.

It has compare the cell value from cell above.

Thanks

Tha

In your conditional formatting formula, if you enter a $ before the row reference, e.g. A$1 then row 1 is "frozen", so that no matter what row you are in, the condition is based on row 1. Is that what you mean?

I am not sure i wroted it correctly.

My value on a2 shoud be formatted based on value on a1 and value on b2 should be formatted based on b1 ....

So you should select from A2 down to bottom right corner of range.... then with conditional formatting, you would select "use a formula to determine which cells to format" and enter a formula that points to row above... e.g. =A1>5. If done correctly, this will highlight A2 if A1 is greater than 5.... If you selected b2, c2, d2, etc.. the formula will adapt to those cells and highlight B2 if B1>5, C2 if C1>5, etc....

I did that - its use cell value on a1 to fomatting b2 instead of use b1 value.

If you edit the conditional format what does it say in the "applies to" range beside the rule? It should be the range you selected to format, and it should start with A2, if you are trying to highlight based on A1.

It should look something like the attached.

Notice how I select the whole range from D4:O4 before creating the conditional formats...

Attachments

• SampleConditionalFormat.jpg
    SampleConditionalFormat.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 13
Its not working for me? Its always use value from d3 to format e4, Its should use e3 value. Can you share you template?

Last edited:
Hi,

Thanks,

How do i apply easy formattiing rules on all cell on row 4? In stead of define them one by one?

Thava

Again, If you select all the cells in row 4 before you apply the conditional formatting and make sure that your conditional formatting references the left most cell in row above make sure formula does not have $ symbol in it, this should work.

Otherwise you can apply conditional formatting to just one cell (e.g. D4) and then in the "Applies To" section of the picture I attached, change it to show the whole range in row 4.

If you want to attach your workbook, I can apply the fomatting for you and re-attach. Just make sure there is no confidential info.

Back