Creating a gas milage/ vehicle maintenance spreadsheet

EvilExcel

Reaction score
First off let me apologize if any of this information is covered already in any of the threads. However I am new to this and have been searching for hours and still have some questions that I hope someone can answer.

I am trying to create a spreadsheet that records the MPG of my vehicles as well as Informs me of any maintenance requirements coming due. I have attached what I have thus far.

The first sheet labeled log includes all the vehicles Gas Mileage logs to include dates,odometer reading, miles since last fill, Gallons of fuel added, Price, MPG, and a box to inform me if maintenance is due. All of it is fairy simple but I can not figure out how to get a check mark, filled red, or anything from the corresponding vehicles preceding sheet.

The rest of the sheets are for the corresponding vehicles. I included a gas mileage calculator graph as a visual reference to how each vehicle compares. This part should be completely operational. Below that is another Gas mileage log that pulls data from the "Log" sheet and breaks it down to cost per mile for the graph. this should also be fully operational. What I need help with on this sheet is the "Maintenance Inspections" table. In column "N" I don't know if I did it correctly but I want this column to calculate the date and mileage each was completed and compare it to the most current date and mileage from the "log" sheet to determine how long I have until maintenance is required and warn me on the "log" sheet when I approach the date within a week or mileage within 100 miles or so.

Once I Have the first two Sheets complete I will then copy the formatting and data to the rest of the sheets. I would also like to make the tables scroll if at all possible so I only see the last 5-10 inputs and its less cluttered but still be able to look back on historical data. Also I want this to be compatible on an android device so I can share it via Google Docs and each driver can update it on each fill up

Anyone is welcome to use this for themselves as well as I do not claim ownership to it and want to help everyone else out as well. I appreciate any help and/or corrections/ improvements that anyone can give in advance

Attachments

• gas-mileage-calculator.xlsx
    71.8 KB · Views: 41
It sounds like you might need a VBA solution to provide the functionality your looking for, but I would need to look at this again to be sure. I think that you would need to progress this a bit further before anyone offering free help in this type of forum would be able to assist you. In particular we would want to see more data, along with attempted formula solutions, and particularly your expected results.
If you are unable to progress toward this yourself, then you perhaps need the help of a professional.

Table suggestion

attachment.php

I've attached a very simple version of what I think you are trying to do. My version only uses Tables. Sheet1 is the running log and Sheet2 has the fixed parameters and some projections that I can control. Let me know if this helps and I'll look again at your workbook and suggest ways you might use my design.

Attachments

• Mileage V4.xlsx
    19.2 KB · Views: 180
I understand that nobody is going to do all the work for me. I'm just trying to learn so I can do it myself. I could absolutely add any random set numbers, dates etc. in wherever needed as I have been doing to test the functionality of the spreadsheet. I appreciate the help thus far and will continue playing with different formulas and data.

I am unable to open your attachment. It downloads as a .PHP file and wont open through excel

That's what happens when you try and share something stored on OneDrive. Silly boy I am. Lets have another go with the locally stored version.

Attachments

• Mileage V4.xlsx
    19.2 KB · Views: 27
I understand that nobody is going to do all the work for me.
Please accept my apologies if I sounded like I was making the above point. You're right though - A lot of people don't like setting up the data in order to illustrate how something might be acheived, especially if (like me) they aren't brilliant at "second guessing". :)
In your situation, someone in the same business is probably the best person to provide you with a working example, like Paul has kindly done above. I would also peruse lots of posts on this site to help develop your knowledge of Excel's great functionality.

Good luck with your project.

I don't know if its my end or what but I still cant open your attachment.

What version of Excel are you using? The older versions can't open the *.xlsx spreadsheets.

Download the file, save it, then rename as an .xlsx instead of .php -- then it will work.
Same thing happened to me, then advice from one of the Gurus mad the difference.

Back