Ken Puls

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.excelguru.ca
Excel Version(s)
Excel Office 365 Insider
I tried adding in some ads on the home/article pages on the site, like I had on the old site. Specifically using some of Charley Kyd's down the side (under the category navigation.)

I'm curious about your opinions on these... do they look ridiculously narrow? If not, what screen resolution are you using?
Thoughts?

Mine's 1920 x 1080 as well, Jeff, so I'm seeing the same as you.

JP, I think Charley would resize an image for me, (he is trying to sell his products after all,) but the issue is that that particular column is sized as a %. So the "look" completely depends on the user's screen resolution.

The right column is fixed 240 pixels, but it's already got a ton of stuff in it. I suppose I could move content from right to left, but my understanding is that eyes are drawn left first, so it's an attempt to actually place the ads where they will get seen (and clicked on) best.

All looks fine at 1440X900 (works pc)

As for the dot map for where a user is drawn to, fold a piece of A4 so that it has 12 equal divisions (squares) on it, now number the squares 1 thru 12, numbers 2, 4 & 5 are the hotspots then 1 & 6 followed by 3 (can't remember where i saw this but it was a while ago when i was first setting up), numbers 1 - 6 are "above the fold" and are premium areas, if a user only visits your site once chances are thats all they'll see, below the fold always performs poorly and usually skipped.

Make of the above what you will but it's a kind of rule of thumb :)

Thansk Simon. I've seen a few different studies done on it, and that fits into the realm of what's generally accepted for sure. :)

Back