Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Article: A message to forum cross posters

Register for a FREE account, and/
    or Log in to avoid these ads!

Thanks and regards.

Dear Ken,

I will post some of the below on the thread that brought me here (treat this is a cross link warning so I don't waste readers' time):

1. In reality, cross-linking (providing a URL to the other site) is a good idea since it helps develop a collective community of users and experts.

2. However, the cross-linking rule is quite unusual for several reasons:
    a) Numerous websites, on the contrary, prohibit external links to competing websites. So, not only is it unobvious but cross-linking without knowledge can be dangerous.

b) I used to click and read the "Terms & Conditions" of forum websites at subscribe-time long ago but it used to be the same yadi yadi yada (no profanity, no this ..., ... which I didn't engage in any ways) so now I ignore these. This is an unusual rule so you should try to show this on the sign up page (without a link) in a succinct readable message. Else, people who ignore the linked T&C as they do the safety briefing at the start of airlines flights, will not know.

c) It needs to be made public on both (or all) the websites that such and such websites are 'partner' websites so cross-linking is desirable on all such websites. Otherwise, how would I -- an ordinary first-time user -- know whether your request for cross-linking is actually some tactics to promote your own website at the cost of others.

For example, your website post that brought me here is saying I should have put a link to your website on mrexcel.com where I did my other posting. Short of the declaration I suggest above, what guarantees that you are not trying to publicize your own website on mrexcel.com?

Or why can't your request be seen as a subtle assertion of your copyright on the original question? (Btw, my question on the other site was completely re-written and nothing was copied from your site.)

d) I believe most people do a reasonable job of searching the net when they have an Excel problem. It's only when the problem is severe enough (and urgent) that they post on a forum for help. I posted my question on your site yesterday (I.S.T.) and posted on mrexcel.com today after the thread on your site seemed to have died out (as only one useless reply came).

In such cases, I think your admonishing message can be misunderstood. I.e., your message would be much more appropriate had I posted on these two sites almost instantaneously. People can't stop work for days waiting for an answer; even hours is quite long but I had waited over 12-14 hours.

e) Forums see numerous posts per hour so a post can quickly get buried and lost forever (in a matter of one hour). So it is reasonable to expect that a post will get no further responses if none is received in a matter of 4-6 hours (like Amazon says that no answers can be expected to a customer's question on their site if none is received in a couple of days).

Despite the above, I will put a link on the original post on your website in the future BUT NOT on the competing website without their consent or rules (like you suggest).

Thanks for reading this far. Replies welcome.

Ashim Jain,
    India

Articles
    Excel Version
    2010 on Xubuntu
    Short of the declaration I suggest above, what guarantees that you are not trying to publicize your own website on mrexcel.com?
    Kindly observe that in my cross-posting post I added a link to MrE. Does it mean that I am publicizing MrE on this forum?

Forums see numerous posts per hour so a post can quickly get buried and lost forever (in a matter of one hour). So it is reasonable to expect that a post will get no further responses if none is received in a matter of 4-6 hours (like Amazon says that no answers can be expected to a customer's question on their site if none is received in a couple of days).
    I don't know how familiar you are with this kind of forums, but to assume that a post that has not been answered within 4-6 hours will never be, is completely wrong. Members here come from all over the world , try to help YOU for FREE on their SPARE time. So the probability is very low that someone is waiting behind his computer to answer your question almost instantaneously. If you take some time to read forum rules, be it this one or others, it is advised to "bump" a question after about a day has passed since it was posted.
    That is the difference between PAID advice, which you can expect to be fast, and FREE advice which can take some time.

This being said, I will not waste more time on this kind of discussion that pops up once a year on every forum I am active on, ( about 10 and they all have the cross posting rule...), and that is often initiated by people wanting a FAST and FREE answer to a problem they then will deliver to their customer and get paid for .

If you are not happy with the way things are on this forum, that is your privilege, (you will have observed that MrExcel also has that rule...) and you can stay away from it
    Last edited by Pecoflyer; 2017-01-23 at 11:38 AM.
    Thank you Ken for this secure forum.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Excel Version
    Excel Office 365 Insider
    I've already posted my reply to this (line by line) in your original thread: http://www.excelguru.ca/forums/showt...xcel-bug/page2
    Ken Puls, FCPA, FCMA, MS MVP

Learn to Master Your Data at the Power Query Academy (the world's most comprehensive online Power Query training), with my book M is for Data Monkey, or our new Power Query Recipe cards!

Main Site: http://www.excelguru.ca -||- Blog: http://www.excelguru.ca/blog -||- Forums: http://www.excelguru.ca/forums
    Check out the Excelguru Facebook Fan Page -||- Follow Me on Twitter

If you've been given VBA code (a macro) for your solution, but don't know where to put it, CLICK HERE.

I had no idea these forums were linked. I am just desperate to get going on this project. Very sorry.

Articles
    Excel Version
    2010 on Xubuntu
    @ asample

Take some time to read the link Ken provided. Forums are not linked
    Thank you Ken for this secure forum.

Articles
    Excel Version
    Thanks and noted.

Thank you for this. How do I edit a Post to include a link to a Cross Post?

Articles
    Excel Version
    Wow! so much to learn! I'm an-ex cross post offender and once was enough! The explanation above makes sense, gosh I appreciate any help and the last thing I want to do is waste anyone's time. I can't express enough here how much I appreciate anyone who works on these questions!!! You guys ROCK!!!!!

Articles
    Excel Version
    Office365
    I just happened upon this post as a new member and want to thank you for so clearly explaining this. I have seen people say something was cross posted but have never really thought more about it. Thank you for making this issue understandable.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast