Articles
    Blog Entries
    Excel Version
    Excel Office 365 Insider

Register for a FREE account, and/
    or Log in to avoid these ads!

Quote Originally Posted by tenbearsioux View Post
    How do I cancel any question on this forum
    You'd have to post one first, but even if you did... I'm not a big fan of deleting posts. The strength of a forum is the history of answers that others can search and learn from.
    Ken Puls, FCPA, FCMA, MS MVP

Learn to Master Your Data at the Power Query Academy (the world's most comprehensive online Power Query training), with my book M is for Data Monkey, or our new Power Query Recipe cards!

Main Site: http://www.excelguru.ca -||- Blog: http://www.excelguru.ca/blog -||- Forums: http://www.excelguru.ca/forums
    Check out the Excelguru Facebook Fan Page -||- Follow Me on Twitter

If you've been given VBA code (a macro) for your solution, but don't know where to put it, CLICK HERE.

Articles
    I have been guilty of cross-posting on one occasion but I assumed (incorrectly, I guess) that when I didn't receive a response from the first posting, after more than a reasonable a period of time, that no one was able to help with my problem so I sought advise from another site. I apologize and will not be guilty of it in future. I will stick with the same forum for all questions and hope that I can get the help that I need. I have a couple of outstanding questions now that were not cross-posted - at least not in the true sense of the word. One question was asked on one site and the second question was asked on another site. The only reason I chose to do that was so that forum members did not think I was being a nuisance.
    Thanks for the tip.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Excel Version
    Excel Office 365 Insider
    Quote Originally Posted by Omagoodness View Post
    ... I assumed (incorrectly, I guess) that when I didn't receive a response from the first posting, after more than a reasonable a period of time, that no one was able to help with my problem so I sought advise from another site...
    Hey, that's not an unfair assumption. Again, the article doesn't say "don't". It says "tell us".

Learn to Master Your Data at the Power Query Academy (the world's most comprehensive online Power Query training), with my book M is for Data Monkey, or our new Power Query Recipe cards!

Main Site: http://www.excelguru.ca -||- Blog: http://www.excelguru.ca/blog -||- Forums: http://www.excelguru.ca/forums

If you've been given VBA code (a macro) for your solution, but don't know where to put it, CLICK HERE.

Guilty, I have done this and for all the reasons, mainly because I get no reply. I have gotten lame answers (insulting to say the least).
    But I respect your rules and will do my best to avoid any cone of shame (dog owner, totally get it).
    Please except my apology for the breech.
    Thank you

Wow, I wasn't aware of the issue of "cross-posting" until I read this. Cross-posting is not new to me and it is usually my "default" position when I have a question to ask on the internet.

This is indeed very enlightening topic and it raises some interesting questions about 'consumerism vs professionalism' and 'essential service vs non-essential services':

For example:

If was looking to buy a pot, I would go to several stores to look for the best available pot before making my purchase. I am therefore a consumer who retains the ultimate right to judge the quality of the product. My decision to browse different shops maintains the competitive edge for pot makers, that is, they have to keep making good quality pots in order to stay in business.

When it comes to essential services like health care for example, I am more inclined to stick with one doctor, not because I don't want to have more medical opinions, but because there are regulatory bodies to ensure that patients do not "doctor shop" for the same issue since it causes havoc on the health care system. That is, either the government, or a professional body, would enforce a set rules which consumers shouldn't and couldn't breach.

Because there are little to no regulatory bodies pertaining the internet, the internet is largely unregulated and therefore functions more like a free market where consumerism trumps.

While on the internet, I consider myself a consumer of information, therefore my default position as I mentioned earlier, is to browse as much and many sources of information as possible before settling on what I think is best. This explains the "cross posting".

And if excel volunteers want to regulate internet users by telling them not to cross post or else "they will be ignored", then may I ask, who is regulating you? Do you belong to a professional body?

If we're not allowed to cross post, then should you be allowed to be registered on different excel forums?

If a patient can't go to many doctors at once, should doctors enrol themselves in multiple practices?

There are regulatory bodies for both patients and doctors, but in the case of the forum cross posting, there seems to be a pseudo-regulatory body for internet users but not the volunteers themselves.

I can see why volunteers might get upset if they 'worked 3 hours on an answer only to find that it has been answered elsewhere', but this is consumerism. Pot makers might get upset when consumers don't buy their pots, but what they need to do is create better pots to maintain a competitive edge.

Excel volunteers are indeed very helpful to the internet community, but they can't escape the nature of the internet, that is, it is NOT meant to be regulated. If this is too much for volunteers, either stay away from it, or create some boundaries for yourself.

By the way, shouldn't volunteers be happy that people are getting their problems solved rather than feeling upset because "they have wasted their time"? That goes in odds with the spirit of volunteering! Who are you trying to please? Yourself? or the people needing help?

Look, I don't get upset when I don't get a reply, I just go somewhere else. I don't see why volunteers should get upset when their solutions weren't taken up.

Food for thought.
    Last edited by cheoksoon; 2016-08-25 at 03:03 PM.

Articles
    Excel Version
    Office 365 Subscription
    You have misunderstood the rule about cross-posting. It is not that you are not allowed to do it, but if you do, you are asked simply to post a link to the other places where you have posted the same query so that members can cross-reference them. Not all members here are members of multiple fora, although a few of us are. What you are being asked to do when you choose to cross-post is not onerous and it is courteous to those giving of their free time to help you.

It's always a good idea to read the forum rules before you post in order to avoid making these faux pas.
    Ali
    Enthusiastic self-taught user of MS Excel!

Quote Originally Posted by AliGW View Post
    You have misunderstood the rule about cross-posting. It is not that you are not allowed to do it, but if you do, you are asked simply to post a link to the other places where you have posted the same query so that members can cross-reference them. Not all members here are members of multiple fora, although a few of us are. What you are being asked to do when you choose to cross-post is not onerous and it is courteous to those giving of their free time to help you.

It's always a good idea to read the forum rules before you post in order to avoid making these faux pas.
    And I have done so (posting cross post link) AliGW, because I am indeed courteous.

However, as Kenpuls puts it, "Lest you choose to just flat out ignore my advice, YOU will be the one being ignored.", that doesn't sound courteous at all.

I think he/she meant well... but that sounded like a threat to me (i.e. "do this... or else...")

I am aware of the good intention of this forum and the volunteers, but unfortunately, it is nigh impossible to stop cross posting. If one username is ignored, people would just create a separate account. If an IP address is blocked, they'll just use some kinda VPN. What is more important is a sense of common decency I suppose.

Anyways, I rest my case. This is just food for thought.

Articles
    Excel Version
    Office 365 Subscription
    I totally get where you are coming from, and I am glad that you see the good reasons for asking for cross-posting to be flagged by the member doing it. I think what is disappointing, however, is the number of people who fail to read and follow simple forum rules that are there to make the whole experience better for everybody.
    Ali
    Enthusiastic self-taught user of MS Excel!

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Excel Version
    Excel Office 365 Insider
    Quote Originally Posted by cheoksoon View Post
    However, as Kenpuls puts it, "Lest you choose to just flat out ignore my advice, YOU will be the one being ignored.", that doesn't sound courteous at all.

I think he/she meant well... but that sounded like a threat to me (i.e. "do this... or else...")
    Maybe you're right here, but let me just point out that this was targeted at people who habitually and blatantly ignore posting their links. We've dealt with some of those in the past who, despite being repeatedly asked just keep posting in each forum.

In my experience, we will always err on the side of helping, not blocking.

Main reason I got to cross posting is because I wanted to observe all the sites that I have post at the same time, just to sum up which one is very fast in replying in this case my concern. How wrong was I for not considering other factors. Sorry about that Excelguru community and others, I have truly learned from this mistake.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast