Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Searching for and deleting xlCellTypeBlanks

Searching for and deleting xlCellTypeBlanks

Register for a FREE account, and/
    or Log in to avoid these ads!

Hey guys, first post here.

I'm struggling with something I decided to do on my own time to expedite my work pulling reports and formatting data.

The section I'm getting an error on below is right here. The problem is is it works JUST fine on a smaller file, it handled 120,000 cells with ease. The file it's failing on is closer to 400,000. I'm not even sure the problem is the size. I just don't know why it would be throwing any kind of error. It's supposed to select all blank cells and just shift up to condense all the data. If anyone has any ideas on how to fix this I would be super appreciative.

Tried editing multiple times, new user privileges leave much to be desired. This is the code.

Sub quickClean()Dim lastRow As Long

With ActiveSheet
    lastRow = .Cells(.Rows.Count, "A").End(xlUp).Row
    End With
    Range("A" & lastRow).Select

Dim rng As Range

Set rng = Range("A1" & lastRow).SpecialCells(xlCellTypeBlanks)

rng.Rows.Delete Shift:=xlShiftUp
    End Sub

Articles
    Excel Version
    Excel 2010 64bit
    Perhaps something like this will do what you want

Code:
    Sub quickClean()
        Dim ws As Worksheet
        Dim lastRow As Long

Application.ScreenUpdating = False

Set ws = Sheets("Sheet1")      '<--alter as needed

With ws
        lastRow = .Cells(Rows.Count, "A").End(xlUp).Row
        'filter for column with the blanks
        .Range("A1:A" & lastRow).AutoFilter field:=1, Criteria1:="="
        'delete all visible rows except header
        On Error Resume Next    'in case there are none to delete
        'alter top row to exclude header
        .Range("A2:A" & lastRow).SpecialCells(xlCellTypeVisible).EntireRow.Delete
        On Error GoTo 0         'turn error checking back on
        'remove filter
        .AutoFilterMode = False
    End With

Application.ScreenUpdating = True

End Sub

Quote Originally Posted by NoS View Post
    Perhaps something like this will do what you want

Code:
    Sub quickClean()
        Dim ws As Worksheet
        Dim lastRow As Long

Application.ScreenUpdating = False

Set ws = Sheets("Sheet1")      '<--alter as needed

With ws
        lastRow = .Cells(Rows.Count, "A").End(xlUp).Row
        'filter for column with the blanks
        .Range("A1:A" & lastRow).AutoFilter field:=1, Criteria1:="="
        'delete all visible rows except header
        On Error Resume Next    'in case there are none to delete
        'alter top row to exclude header
        .Range("A2:A" & lastRow).SpecialCells(xlCellTypeVisible).EntireRow.Delete
        On Error GoTo 0         'turn error checking back on
        'remove filter
        .AutoFilterMode = False
    End With

Application.ScreenUpdating = True

End Sub
    I appreciate the timely response, and I will try this first chance I get tomorrow, however, Did you notice something glaringly wrong with what I put up? It did indeed work for multiple files, just not the very long one.

Articles
    Excel Version
    Quote Originally Posted by foxsansbox View Post
    however, Did you notice something glaringly wrong with what I put up?
    Possibly a few (whether glaring or not depends on the experience of the viewer!).

I just don't know why it would be throwing any kind of error.
    Always useful for us to know what the error was.

It's supposed to select all blank cells and just shift up to condense all the data.
    Just confirm that you're not seeking to retain row integrity, that is data on any given row stays together on a row. It's unusual if you don't, but come back and I'll cater for it. I suspect you do want to retain row integrity so I'll stick with that at the moment.

When debugging/developing, it can be useful temporarilyto intersperse your code with some extra lines; I often use .Select so that I can be sure that what I think my code is referring to, actually is (this needs you to step through the code one line at a time with F8). So in yor code I might add the following red lines:

Sub quickClean()
    Dim lastRow As Long
    With ActiveSheet
    End With
    Range("A" & lastRow).Select 'you already put this one in.. but notice it's a little different from below where you have 'A1' instead of just 'A'.
    Dim rng As Range
    Range("A1" & lastRow).Select 'the same as below.
    Set rng = Range("A1" & lastRow).SpecialCells(xlCellTypeBlanks)
    rng.Select
    rng.Rows.Select

rng.Rows.Delete Shift:=xlShiftUp
    End Sub

The first red line above may surprise you with what it selects; let's say it previously found lastRow to be 500, what it will select is Range("A1" & 500), which is Range("A1500"), a single cell some 1000 rows below the lastRow!
    The fact that it's a single cell is important when it comes to the SpecialCells operation; SpecialCells will assume you want SpecialCells from the entire sheet!

The code you supplied implies (from rng.rows.delete) that you only want to find blanks in column A and delete the rows that they're on, and I'm guessing complete rows from the table or even entire rows on the sheet - you'll have to fill us in.
    So this is a guess:
    Code:
    Sub quickClean2()
    Dim lastRow As Long
    With ActiveSheet
    End With
    Range("A2:A" & lastRow).Select 'can delete later
    Dim rng As Range
    Set rng = Range("A2:A" & lastRow).SpecialCells(xlCellTypeBlanks)
    rng.Select 'can delete later
    rng.EntireRow.Select 'can delete later
    rng.EntireRow.Delete
    End Sub
    A couple more things to note:
    1. You used With ActiveSheet; the End With could be placed a little lower in the code - it would make the code a little more robust. (Actually it makes very little difference. One instance where it would foul up is if this code is in a sheet's code-module which is not the active sheet's code-module.)
    2. It might be that column A has no blank cells at all, in which case the SpecialCells operation will throw an error which you might want to cater for.
    Both these points addressed below:
    Code:
    Sub quickClean3()
    Dim lastRow As Long, rng As Range

With ActiveSheet
      On Error Resume Next  'next line might error.
      Set rng = .Range("A2:A" & lastRow).SpecialCells(xlCellTypeBlanks)
      On Error GoTo 0  'restore normal error operations.
      If Not rng Is Nothing Then rng.EntireRow.Delete
    End With
    End Sub
    Last edited by p45cal; 2015-09-28 at 12:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by p45cal View Post
    Possibly a few (whether glaring or not depends on the experience of the viewer!).

Always useful for us to know what the error was.
    I'm so sorry. I had a fancy snippet with the error and everything, but excelguru doesn't think I should be allowed to post pictures yet, which is why I typed out the code by hand. I am also very inexperienced at this point, I have self taught myself via the macro function, stackoverflow/excelguru code hunting, and trial and error to create my current project, which we shall call Frankensteins monster.

And I am in fact NOT looking for row integrity. All the information ends up in column A by the time I am done anyway. It would be hard to explain why I'm doing this without a few lengthy paragraphs, but essentially columns A through D are all the same type of data, and they need to be trimmed, cleaned, and condensed on A before I can begin doing some other data stuff.

Thank you both for the responses, you've given me a lot ot work with, think about. I'm going to get started now.
    Last edited by p45cal; 2015-09-28 at 04:36 PM. Reason: removed most of quoted message

Read your comments again and felt I should elaborate a little more. I have 4 columns with data, all of the same type, all seperated by varying degrees of blank cells (Not the fun kind of blank cells, the kind that have to be trimmed first). My original code would shift through cell by cell and test it to be blank and then delete shift up if found empty, and as you can imagine this would take some time. For the first file it took 40 seconds. For the Second file it took THREE hours. This was no good so I sought out to teach myself more. Currently I have the first file down to three seconds, which prompted me to retest the second one, which is when things started goofing and I sought out the help of you fine folk.

Articles
    Excel Version
    400,000 cells in total (rather than 4 columns of 400,000 = 1,600,000) eh?
    Order of the cell not matter?
    Then put the 4 columns in column A first, sort, delete (if necessary) stuff at the top/bottom?

Something like the following might work
    Code:
    Sub blah()
    With ActiveSheet
      For colm = 2 To 4
        Set Destn = .Cells(.Rows.Count, 1).End(xlUp).Offset(1)
        'Destn.Select
        SourceLastRow = .Cells(.Rows.Count, colm).End(xlUp).Row
        '.Range(.Cells(1, colm), .Cells(SourceLastRow, colm)).Select
        .Range(.Cells(1, colm), .Cells(SourceLastRow, colm)).Cut Destn
      Next colm
      SortLastRow = .Cells(.Rows.Count, 1).End(xlUp).Row
      With .Sort
        .SortFields.Clear
        .SortFields.Add Key:=Range("A1"), SortOn:=xlSortOnValues, Order:=xlAscending, DataOption:=xlSortNormal
        .SetRange Range("A1:A" & SortLastRow)
        .Header = xlNo  ' could be xlYes or xlGuess depending..
        .MatchCase = False
        .Orientation = xlTopToBottom
        .SortMethod = xlPinYin
        .Apply
      End With
      Z = Range("A1:A" & SortLastRow).Value
      For j = 1 To UBound(Z)
        If Application.Trim(Z(j, 1)) <> "" Then Exit For
      Next j
      .Range("A1:A" & j - 1).Delete shift:=xlUp
    End With
    End Sub
    Assumes no column headers.
    2 seconds for 4 x 100,000 rows with 7% 'fun' blank cells, 7% true blank cells
    Last edited by p45cal; 2015-09-28 at 04:49 PM.

I just finished! I repurposed your last code a bit and I got it to work. No crashing and it finished in under 15 minutes (Compared to 3 hours I'm really excited). This is what I ended up using.

Code:
    Sub quickClean2()
    Dim lastRow As Long
    With ActiveSheet
    End With
    Range("A1:A" & lastRow).Select 'can delete later
    Dim rng As Range
    Set rng = Range("A1:A" & lastRow).SpecialCells(xlCellTypeBlanks)
    rng.Cells.Delete
    With ActiveSheet
      lastRow = .Cells(.Rows.Count, "B").End(xlUp).Row
    End With
    Range("B1:B" & lastRow).Select 'can delete later
    Set rng = Range("B1:B" & lastRow).SpecialCells(xlCellTypeBlanks)
    rng.Cells.Delete
    With ActiveSheet
      lastRow = .Cells(.Rows.Count, "C").End(xlUp).Row
    End With
    Range("C1:C" & lastRow).Select 'can delete later
    Set rng = Range("C1:C" & lastRow).SpecialCells(xlCellTypeBlanks)
    rng.Cells.Delete
    With ActiveSheet
      lastRow = .Cells(.Rows.Count, "D").End(xlUp).Row
    End With
    Range("D1:D" & lastRow).Select 'can delete later
    Set rng = Range("D1:D" & lastRow).SpecialCells(xlCellTypeBlanks)
    rng.Cells.Delete
    End Sub
    I had a follow up question if you don't mind me picking your brain. I changed rng.EntireRow.Delete to rng.Cells.Delete because when I was going through it step by step like you suggested I saw how it was working and selecting things and I thought this might be faster in the long run (Running tests both ways it turns out this was false, both took approximately 13 to 14 minutes). My question is, Collumn A was nearly instant, B took almost 10 minutes, C 3 minutes, and D 1 minute. D by FAR had the most blank cells, and A by FAR the least blank cells (This is by nature true for every report I pull in this manner). Why would they both be the fastest? I'm trying to understand how data/resources are being handled because I'm going to end up making more macros like this.

If your latest suggestion would be logically faster than the 13-15 minutes I'm getting now I will redo it again, but as it stands you have been so helpful and its made my day. Thank you.
    Last edited by p45cal; 2015-09-28 at 05:59 PM. Reason: removed quoted message

Articles
    Excel Version
    I changed rng.EntireRow.Delete to rng.Cells.Delete because when I was going through it step by step like you suggested I saw how it was working and selecting things and I thought this might be faster in the long run (Running tests both ways it turns out this was false, both took approximately 13 to 14 minutes).
    change it to rng.Delete.

My question is, Column A was nearly instant, B took almost 10 minutes, C 3 minutes, and D 1 minute. D by FAR had the most blank cells, and A by FAR the least blank cells (This is by nature true for every report I pull in this manner). Why would they both be the fastest? I'm trying to understand how data/resources are being handled because I'm going to end up making more macros like this.
    I don't know, but I'd speculate it was to do with the number of contiguous areas rather than the total number of cells being deleted; 2 areas of 500 cells each is probably going to delete and shift up faster than 1000 non-contiguous cells.

Does the order of the final cells matter, and are they still all going to end up in column A?
    And are we talking 400k cells or 1600k cells?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast