how to put slab ranges in scatter chart on x axis ie (1-9, 10-19...)

tigarman0007

Reaction score
Hi,

Please help me out with this problem; I'm stuck with it for the last week or so. I want to put slab ranges in scatter chart on x axis i.e. (1-9, 10-19...). I have given the whole scenario in figures in attached file.

Any and all help would be highly appreciated.:tsk:

Thank:
Tigarman0007.

Attachments

• chart.xlsx
    267.5 KB · Views: 23
Made a start in the attached.
Missing x-axis labels, y-axis break.

Attachments

• ExcelGuru4936chart.xlsx
    295.9 KB · Views: 14
Dear
Thank you for your guidance and sorry for not giving the links to cross posts.
But I could not understand your reply, could you please elaborate it a little bit more?

How can we use this:

y = 3.7x2 + 22.70x + 3567.
R² = 0.151

The cut shown on the y-axis, is it possible in Excel or a third party software was used for this?

I really really would appreciate your help.

But I could not understand your reply, could you please elaborate it a little bit more?
You may have missed it, but I added a chart to your workbook in the vicinity of cell W13. Its Y plot is from the same range as your incomplete chart. Its X plot is from column T where I have grouped the original X values into groups using a formula:
=INDEX($Z$4:$Z$9,MATCH(L5,$Y$4:$Y$9,1))
which uses a table (at Y4:Z9) to put the X value into groups: 0 to 3, 4 to 7, 8 to 11, 12 to 15 etc.

How can we use this:
y = 3.7x2 + 22.70x + 3567.
R² = 0.151
This is the trendline formula I chose to display on your chart to compare it with the trendline added to the new chart - it's nowhere near the same (of course) - I just wanted to see it. I should have removed it.

The cut shown on the y-axis, is it possible in Excel or a third party software was used for this?
It may possible in Excel but it's not native to Excel's charts. One work-around might be to put a rectangle with a white fill and dark border at an angle over the Y-axis, then put two more white, no-border rectangles on top to hide 2 sides of the first rectangle, then group the 3 shapes, as in the attached.

Attachments

• ExcelGuru4936chart.xlsx
    297.5 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
Thanks ever so much for the invaluable guidance, you have really made my day.

Your input was very useful and I have completed the chart.

Thanks again, you have been very kind :thumb:

I wish to keep in contact with you in future for more learning.

Back