Thread: Question Regarding Duplicate Removal

Exclamation Question Regarding Duplicate Removal

Register for a FREE account, and/
    or Log in to avoid these ads!

Hello all!

I have a question I haven't been able to find an answer to after hours of searching. I have a list of cities, states, and zip codes in 3 columns. I'm trying to delete all duplicates from each "group" of zips that have the same city/state combination (without deleting another instance of that city/state/zip that might appear further down in the sheet after other cities/states/zips, or even immediately after another group for the same city/state combination). So the outcome would be keeping just the first row from each city/state/zip group, even if there are other instances in another part of the sheet (for an example, which probably explains a lot better than my ramblings, please see below tables).

Atlanta GA 30001
    Atlanta GA 30002
    Atlanta GA 30003
    Atlanta GA 30001
    Atlanta GA 30002
    Atlanta GA 30003
    Baltimore MD 21201
    Morganville NJ 07751
    Atlanta GA 30001
    Atlanta GA 30002
    Atlanta GA 30003

I want the above table to end up looking like this:
    Atlanta GA 30001
    Atlanta GA 30001
    Baltimore MD 21201
    Morganville NJ 07751
    Atlanta GA 30001

There are sometimes thousands of rows like these in the worksheet... Is there a way to do this (in Excel, VBA, or even another inexpensive program)? I have the ASAP Utilities plugin, but it doesn't even seem to have anything that can even accomplish this. If anyone has an answer, I would greatly appreciate your help! Please let me know if you need any further clarification. Thank you again!!

Articles
    Excel Version
    jruss, this is a cross post (you have posted the same query elsewhere) without including links to where you have done so.
    You seem to have solved your problem.
    Please have a careful read of http://www.excelguru.ca/content.php?184 to understand why this important, then make the necessary additions of links to all sites/threads.
    Ultimately, jruss, it will be to your benefit.

To others, I would prefer if people considering responding to this thread would delay doing so until jruss has complied.