Calculating 3 and 5 decimal points in cells

ChaosTrader63

Reaction score
Hello! Hopefully I am posting this in the proper place but my issue is that I am putting together a trading journal for stocks and currencies. On the journal tab in cell D there are 27 currency pairs. Each pair has a price that you can buy or sell the pair such as 1.23456
21 of the pair have 5 decimal points as shown but 6 pair have 3 decimal points such as 1.234 the 6 pair are as follows AUD/JPY, CAD/JPY, EUR/JPY, GBP/JPY, NZD/JPY & USD/JPY If it matters it is 3 decimal points when the second of the pair is JPY such as AUD/JPY. If the decimal place is not calculated for these 6 pair or the pair with JPY then it affects the outcome of cells G, H, I & J
I am looking for a formula that will automatically adjust the decimal point of the cells when cell D uses one of the 6 pair listed or the JPY as the second of the pair. I have attached the journal and hopefully I explained this properly. Any help is much appreciated, thanks!

View attachment Journal Template.xlsx

Your attachment is missing data validation lists. It's blank and does not work.

You can round to 3 decimals or 6 decimals, but your display will have to show 6 decimals (i.e. the cells have to all be formatted the same).

=ROUND(yourformula,IF(RIGHT(D2,3)="JPY",3,6))

You can round to 3 decimals or 6 decimals, but your display will have to show 6 decimals (i.e. the cells have to all be formatted the same).

=ROUND(yourformula,IF(RIGHT(D2,3)="JPY",3,6))

NBVC thanks for the reply! I do not know how to insert my formula as I keep getting errors. How would I insert that? Here is my formula: =IF(G6="Long",K6-H6,H6-K6)*10000

=ROUND(IF(G6="Long",K6-H6,H6-K6)*10000,IF(RIGHT(D2,3)="JPY",3,6))

NBVC thanks for the effort! The formula worked on the first pair that wasn't JPY but then I put a JPY pair in and the calculation was 10 when it should have been 468. I don't know where it went wrong.

Maybe because the formula was referencing different rows, and also in your sheet it looks like the Long or Short is in column F, not G as per your formula?

Try putting this in your formula column in row 2:

=ROUND(IF(F2="Long",K2-H2,H2-K2)*10000,IF(RIGHT(D2,3)="JPY",3,6))

Make sure the cells in the formula are referencing the correct cells in the row for the formula and its logic.

Then copy down the formula.

NBVC I think all I need is for the formula to state that if it is a JPY trade then instead of *10000 it would be *100 because when I change the 10000 to 100 it is right. so using my first formula

=IF(F2="Long",J2-G2,J2-G2)*10000

how can we differentiate?

Perhaps:

=IF(F2="Long",K2-H2,H2-K2)*IF(RIGHT(D2,3)="JPY",100,10000)

Back